Seatpost Stuck!!!!!

jonnyheneghan
jonnyheneghan Posts: 2
edited November 2013 in Workshop
OK so yes I should take my seatpost out as often as possible and make sure it is well oiled and greased but unfortunately last month I had a RTC and have been unable to ride and my bike has been in the shed. Due to the extra time it now takes me to get to and from work via the bus of all things it has been to dark to do anything by the time I get home.

So this weekend I put time aside to give my steed the full works, which I have done in such OCD fashion as even taking out every single nut and bolt and cleaned the lot. However, no matter how much grease, oil, lube, pulling, pushing, twisting whatever my seatpost will not budge at all.

Does anyone have a little trick that they have used which I could possibly try? My bike is spotless now except for this damn seatpost. PLEASE HELP

Comments

• Get some plus gas/penetrating spray from B & Q - WD40/GT 85 won't do it as they are not penetrating sprays.

Spray on over a couple of days allowing it to soak in.

Stick the bike in a vice but put the seat in the vice.

Turn the bike using the frame - the extra leverage will shift the seat post.

Job jobbed.

You shouldn't really need to take the seat post out very often if its got a decent amount of copperslip on it.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    What material is the seatpost? And what material is the frame?
  • WD40 left overnight once did wonders for one of my old bikes. Either that or I'd grown muscle overnight. Roar!
    The Human Cyclist - A blog, try it, you might like it...
  • bill57
    bill57 Posts: 454
    I got a stuck post out by pouring boiling water over the seat tube (steel) a few times, then striking the seatpost from underneath with a heavy hammer, in line with the seat tube and away from the frame. The frame was held upside down so the direction of the strike was downwards, much easier to give it a good clout this way.

This was a cheap Kalloy post, capable of taking the hits, and once it had been cleaned up a bit it was re-usable too.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Google "Sheldon Brown stuck seatpost" for a wide range of options. Seatpost and frame materials are important considerations
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Hi

So my frame is Carbon and my seat post is alloy. Anything I should avoid
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,182
    heneghj wrote:
    Hi

So my frame is Carbon and my seat post is alloy. Anything I should avoid

galvanic corrosion can occur between cf and al, it's the al that loses, the corrosion product takes up more space and isn't smooth, so the post jams

if you don't do any wet rides, chances of problems are slim, but if you ride year round, especially in winter when roads are salted, the risk is much greater

applying some carbon paste, the pink tacx stuff will do fine, will reduce the chance of problems, redo every year or so
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Carbon paste or a tad of copperslip - the c/slip is slightly abrasive so will help the seat post stay ion place, grease will let it slip about like a frog in a barrel.
  • Carbon paste or a tad of copperslip - the c/slip is slightly abrasive so will help the seat post stay in place, grease will let it slip about like a frog in a barrel.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Due to the galvanic corrosion, you'll have a build-up of aluminium oxide between the post and seatube which jams it in position - I've seen carbon tubes split by corrosion. Even Plusgas will struggle so suggest you try ACF50 which is an aluminium oxide inhibiter and will break down the oxide
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • My seatpost stuck on my hybrid MTB, but it's at the right height, so I've cut the seat clamp off, and I now have a very cool, minimalist, aero look!