It starts again 29er 650 26"

francis666
francis666 Posts: 99
edited November 2013 in MTB general
Ok, as an old school 26" and after slagging the 29er revolution.

Then after a 12hr XC race thought "maybe a 29er would be better ......"

Now the hype is that 29er is on the way out except for big guys and 650 is the best of best solution, and 26" is almost dead except for the lower stuff.

So next year when i finally retire my 8 year old worn out GT idrive (26") with full air suspension (replacement), what do I get for XC?
cos in 3 years time I don't wont to be told I bought the wrong outdated bike! or the tyre choices are not there.

aaahhhhh
Chinese All Carbon Hybrid, mixed with overdraft and research.
Hong Kong Phoey - Quicker than the human eye!

Not enough: bikes, garage space or time.

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,401
    Oh for the love of...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Go test a few bikes and buy the one you like best, whatever the wheel size

Personally, I wouldn't go for a 29er as I ride a smallish frame size and I don't think they work so well with big hoops

Not ridden a 650 but imagine difference between them and a 26" must be pretty marginal

If you are 'heavily invested' in 26 (spare wheels, tyres) I wouldn't worry about buying another

You could just replace the frame of course - suppose that depends on the rest of the bike
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    BigAl wrote:
    Go test a few bikes and buy the one you like best, whatever the wheel size

Bingo!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Just get a bargain 2013 bike with 26" wheels.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    francis666 wrote:
    So next year when i finally retire my 8 year old worn out GT idrive (26") with full air suspension (replacement), what do I get for XC?
    cos in 3 years time I don't wont to be told I bought the wrong outdated bike! or the tyre choices are not there.

In 3 years time they'll be promoting 27.75 as the best compromise between 650b and 29er
    Uncompromising extremist
  • i'm a shorty and i only tried a 29er when i recently bought a new bike. i liked it enough to have it and not worry about trying a 650. Just try and buy whatever you like, regardless of internet neigh sayers of what will and will not be around at 6.30 tomorrow night!
    I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Northwind wrote:
    francis666 wrote:

In 3 years time they'll be promoting 27.75 as the best compromise between 650b and 29er

No chance by then the new square wheels will be out. Of course some hipster tit will then claim triangular wheels are better.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Buy a bicycle. Ride it.
    Goodnight.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    stubs wrote:
    Northwind wrote:
    francis666 wrote:

No chance by then the new square wheels will be out. Of course some hipster tit will then claim triangular wheels are better.

But which size of square should we buy?
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    stubs wrote:
    Northwind wrote:
    francis666 wrote:

But which size of square should we buy?

0.9m². The 0.8m² ones are crap
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Test a few Konas

The Process comes in all three wheel sizes

Then you can make an actual informed decision instead of being guided by marketing
  • TownyDC
    TownyDC Posts: 157
    buy a 650b or as i like to call mine, 27.5......

"brings the trail alive"........................ :)
  • DCR00 wrote:
    Test a few Konas

The Process comes in all three wheel sizes

Then you can make an actual informed decision instead of being guided by marketing

^^^This.
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • TownyDC
    stubs wrote:
    Northwind wrote:
    francis666 wrote:

c'mon guys you must have seen back to the future II, by 2015 we'll be riding hover bikes.
  • keep looking at the Specialized Camber Carbon
    but I don't even own a car that expensive!
    (actually I don't own a car at all cos I got 4 bikes and an Oyster card)

But could I make one cheaper and just ads good.......
    Think I know where the frames are made!!!!!!!!!!

• Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    I just got a new 26", a fuck I do not give.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    TownyDC wrote:
    or as i like to call mine, 27.5......

You've swallowed the marketing then, I see... :wink:
  • Cant help liking shiny and matt things!
    But 12 hrs on an XC course all night made my old GT feel very heavy and every bump that little bit harsher!
    getting oooold too :oops:

• ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    I just got a new 26", a fark I do not give.

An amazing bike as well, nothing to do with the wheel size
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    TownyDC wrote:
    buy a 650b or as i like to call mine, 27.5......
    Why would you be daft enough to call a 27" wheel a 27.5, unless you call your 26" 26.5?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • TownyDC
    TownyDC wrote:
    or as i like to call mine, 27.5......

You've swallowed the marketing then, I see... :wink:

Hell yeah I'm a marketing man's dream...... :D

Fortunate enough to have the money for a 2014 bike, wanted more boing than my Anthem, love the Giant brand so thought I'd give 27.5 a go.
    Had Giant have released 2014 26" Trance and not opted for this new size I would have gone for one of those but to be honest the bike feels totally different and rolls well but that might be due to the extra travel for me and the fact that it's new and shiny, possibly not the extra 1.5" in wheel size.... only time will tell when it's been hammered around the north downs for a couple of months..
  • The Rookie
    TownyDC wrote:
    possibly not the extra 1.5" in wheel size....
    Thats ONE inch, not 1.5" rim diameter is 25mm larger (584mm versus 559mm for 26")

You really are a Marketing mans dream victim!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • TownyDC
    The Rookie wrote:
    TownyDC wrote:
    possibly not the extra 1.5" in wheel size....
    Thats ONE inch, not 1.5" rim diameter is 25mm larger (584mm versus 559mm for 26")

You really are a Marketing mans dream victim!

nerd... get a life
  • The Rookie
    Moron, check your info before becoming a victim......and once your errors have been pointed out, correct them before making yourself look a bigger moron by repeating the mistake!
  • TownyDC
    The Rookie wrote:
    Moron, check your info before becoming a victim......and once your errors have been pointed out, correct them before making yourself look a bigger moron by repeating the mistake!

mate I went out bought a nice bike that I wanted, I go out and ride the nice bike that I wanted, I didn't measure the wheel size compared to my old bike, excuse me for not being accurate , couldn't give a stuff if my info was incorrect or inaccurate, I just ride the things.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    TownyDC wrote:
    mate I went out bought a nice bike that I wanted, I go out and ride the nice bike that I wanted, I didn't measure the wheel size compared to my old bike

That's fine I don't think anyone is against that. That's exactly how a bike should be chosen by riding it not by looking at some numbers on a spread sheet.
    TownyDC wrote:
    ... excuse me for not being accurate , couldn't give a stuff if my info was incorrect or inaccurate, I just ride the things.

Then don't call people names when they correct your mistakes.
  • TownyDC
    OK point taken, apologies given, if being tagged as, and I quote " A Marketing Man's dream victim". . then that's fine by me as being out on my bike gives me great pleasure and in my opinion worth the money i spent and to me that's what its all about.
  • The Rookie
    I have no issue with that, buy it, ride it, enjoy it. I guess the engineer in me likes to understand it as well (which is why I build it not buy it!), but I know that isn't everyone.
  • TownyDC
    hey no worries, apologies for calling you a nerd. :oops:
  • The Rookie
    Ditto the Moron - Group hug!