Boardman Team FS Tyre help..

DannyUK
DannyUK Posts: 106
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi everyone,

I am looking to get some new tyres for my Boardman Team FS. I like the look of the Maxxis Minions, I want something which will offer a good amount of grip.

My question is, will the 2.35's fit on the front and rear without problems?

Thanks,
Dan
All the gear, loads of fear...

Comments

• IDave
    IDave Posts: 223
    What year is your Team FS?
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    DannyUK wrote:
    Hi everyone,

I am looking to get some new tyres for my Boardman Team FS. I like the look of the Maxxis Minions, I want something which will offer a good amount of grip.

My question is, will the 2.35's fit on the front and rear without problems?

Thanks,
    Dan

Front yes. Rear no.
  • pnev
    pnev Posts: 236
    Minion on the front, Advantage on the rear
  • broona
    broona Posts: 414
    I ride a 2012 FS Pro with a 2.35 Minion DHF on the front and a 2.35 HR on the back with plenty of clearance at either end.
  • Kowalski675
    broona wrote:
    I ride a 2012 FS Pro with a 2.35 Minion DHF on the front and a 2.35 HR on the back with plenty of clearance at either end.

Must be different chainstays to the Team FS then. You wouldn't get a 2.35 High Roller in the back of mine. There's precious little clearance with my 2.2 XR3, and when I replaced the frame I noticed that it had been rubbing the paint away on both chainstays , either down to rear end flex or wheel flex (and I ride like a grandma and weigh as much as a whippet).
  • DannyUK
    DannyUK Posts: 106
    Mine is a 2012. Interesting that some can fit the wider tyres on the back and some can't?

Minion on front and Advantage on back feel strong in the wet?
    All the gear, loads of fear...
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    I run 2.35 Minion DHF front and rear on my Mega. They come up very small compared to most other tyres of the same size. My 2.2 Rubber Queens are wider and have a bigger volume and the same with the 2.25 Ardents I used to have.

I definitely recommend the Minions though. Seriously good grip in all conditions and pretty fast rolling for the type of tyre they are.
  • Kowalski675
    DannyUK wrote:
    Mine is a 2012. Interesting that some can fit the wider tyres on the back and some can't?

Minion on front and Advantage on back feel strong in the wet?

Mine's a 2013, and now has a brand new replacement frame, with different chainstays. Neither frame would take a 2.35 High Roller on the back, they're not a small tyre. Different manufacturers measurements vary hugely for their labelled nominal tyre sizes, but my 2.35 XR3 front wouldn't go on the back (like I said, the 2.2 was already rubbing the chainstays, although you'd think the clearance is adequate when stationary - must be due to flex).

This is the 2.2 in the original frame, the neoprene chainstay protector only just clears the tyre.

DSC_8913800x532_zpsc572aff0.jpg