Road bike for larger lad

alastairshearer6
alastairshearer6 Posts: 4
edited November 2013 in Road beginners
i know there is probably a load of threads about this already but here it goes

i am looking to buy a road bike but i am 6ft3" and 22 stone(140kg) and i was wondering if anybody has any suggestions of what bike they would recommend and/or wheels that would be suitable for my weight.

i do have a mountain bike but given the weather in the west of Scotland its quite hard to get onto the trails in my area and i have put on a fair bit of beef recently after stopping smoking that i need to loose again.

Any help, suggestions or advice would be greatly apprciated.

Thanks

Comments

• fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Depends on how much you are looking to spend.

I was nearly your size when I started out, and my experience is that the wheels are the most important part for big guys. You want to avoid anything with less than 32 spokes really, and 36 spokes would be even better.

I would speak to the guys at your LBS (not Halfords) and tell them your concerns, and see what they suggest.
  • i would be looking to spend between £500-1k i think.

i had toyed about with the idea of buying a better 2nd hand bike and replacing the wheels
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Fat Cat wrote:
    Depends on how much you are looking to spend.

I was nearly your size when I started out, and my experience is that the wheels are the most important part for big guys. You want to avoid anything with less than 32 spokes really, and 36 spokes would be even better.

I would speak to the guys at your LBS (not Halfords) and tell them your concerns, and see what they suggest.
    ^^This.
  • Have you considered getting a set of road tyres for your mountain bike?

I used to have a mountain bike with slick/road tyres. (Not actual road tyres but onea for mounraon bike rims) It was faster than normal offroad tyres, comfortable and a joy to ride in winter.

Saves you a stash and you can loose weight over winter and save for a nice summer road bike when your lighter if you want.
  • i had thought about that but my mountain bike has got a fair bit of travel on the front forks and its not lockable and also weighs a good bit.

also i would like to use the road bike all year round which would save me changing tyres if i wanted to jump out for quick cycle
  • Whatever bike you get (and that depends on what style of riding and position you want) my advice is sell the OEM wheels unused immediately and get yourself a set of 36 hole handbuilts. At your and my weight no OEM road bike wheels will be suitable and you will save yourself a load of hassle and dosh to sell the OEM ones new and go straight to 36 hole handbuilts. Bitter experience taught me that on my journey from starting cycling well North of 22 stone to just under 18 now (journey continues!)

If you post what position you want on the continuum from flat back racing to sit up a beg style we will be better able to recommend bikes.
  • This really all depends on how much you want to spend aswel.

Some bike companies like Ribble can build up a custom bike for you and recommend wheels of your choice.