Right, talk to me about winter gloves.

2»

Comments

• vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Or, you could just get a phone with a variable sensitivity screen and install an automation app and set it up such that when it detects (1) that you are riding and/or (2) that the temperature is below a certain value, it automatically increases its sensitivity so that it responds when wearing gloves. You can then wear the gloves of your choice and all you two, three, whatever, finger gestures work. A bit more superberer!
  • I've realised I need to consider some warmer gloves - I've struggled already this year, so was looking at the Assos liner gloves and the Specialized Radiants... I managed -8 last year (suffered a bit with the tips of my fingers at first).

Does anyone not think that the above will be suitable?

(presently using Gore liners and Altura Cresta gloves)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • The Radiants were fine at -5 this morning, without liners, not sure how much lower they would go. I have a pair of the Seaskinz lobster gloves for the *very* coldest days.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Just picked up some 2012 Specialized SubZero winter gloves from the LBS with 50% off :)
    Come with liners which can be used on their own, and the outers also have their own primaloft lining, so you have 3 choices for varying conditions (inner only, outer only, liner and outer combined). Also has same glasses wipe material on the entire length of the thumb and 'anatomical snuffbox'.

Separate thumb and forefinger, with the rest of the fingers grouped in a mitt. Toasty, waterproof and breathable. Bargain for 20 quid 8)
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • vermin wrote:
    Or, you could just get a phone with a variable sensitivity screen and install an automation app and set it up such that when it detects (1) that you are riding and/or (2) that the temperature is below a certain value, it automatically increases its sensitivity so that it responds when wearing gloves. You can then wear the gloves of your choice and all you two, three, whatever, finger gestures work. A bit more superberer!
    I believe modern touchscreens aren't working with pressure but with electric conductivity: your best bet is to get a Garmin with the good old "press" screen or get Asprilla's cocktail sausage :shock: to stroke your phone.
  • vermin
    hegyestomi wrote:
    vermin wrote:
    I believe modern touchscreens aren't working with pressure but with electric conductivity: your best bet is to get a Garmin with the good old "press" screen or get Asprilla's cocktail sausage :shock: to stroke your phone.

My Galaxy Note has capacitive screen tech, but has variable screen sensitivity. Changing it to high sensitivity makes it easy to use whilst wearing gloves. I think the Galaxy S4 has the same functionality.
  • vermin wrote:
    hegyestomi wrote:
    vermin wrote:

My Galaxy Note has capacitive screen tech, but has variable screen sensitivity. Changing it to high sensitivity makes it easy to use whilst wearing gloves. I think the Galaxy S4 has the same functionality.
    Interesting: do you think this is specific to hardware or it is more of a software function? Wondering if my S2 can do that or not.
  • vermin
    hegyestomi wrote:
    vermin wrote:
    hegyestomi wrote:
    vermin wrote:

Interesting: do you think this is specific to hardware or it is more of a software function? Wondering if my S2 can do that or not.

I think its new-fangled hardware - I don't recall my S2 having a similar option. They're knocking out S4s for pennies now - time for phone+1?
  • vermin wrote:
    hegyestomi wrote:
    vermin wrote:
    hegyestomi wrote:
    vermin wrote:

I think its new-fangled hardware - I don't recall my S2 having a similar option. They're knocking out S4s for pennies now - time for phone+1?
    Not sure about the S4: too much of a pebble feeling. Also moving into a house our mortgage will double in two weeks time :(
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    Went for gore rather than assos and am kind of regreting it now. The gore gloves feel a bit sloppy but then I am not used to 'double skinned' gloves. They seem warm but I feel detatched !