Workshop Recommendations Needed - London

ChoobDriver
ChoobDriver Posts: 8
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hello all,
Firstly sorry if i've posted this in the wrong forum.

Looking for recommendations of good cycle workshop in North/North West/West London areas.

I have bought a new Boardman MTB. I have had 2 previously bought and built by Halfords and to say a poor job was done on both occasions would be putting it mildly. I do not want to take a chance on 3rd time unlucky!

I have a few cycle shops near me (Evans, Cycle Surgery, Fudges) but generally people do not seem to happy with them in the reviews I have read.

So i'm currently in possession of a great bike that's in bits in a box in need of someone competent to build and adjust it.

Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks

Comments

• Why is it in bits?
  • Bits is probably an overstatement, it needs assembly as it's brand new still in the box
  • It should be setup already. Best learn yourself, some Allen keys and a spanner should be all you need. Whack the pedals on, turn and do up the bars, double check all bolts are not loose (like you should be doing out of course before a ride) and job done.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Take a look at the Park Tools web-site. Should tell you all you need to know

(The left-hand pedal has a reverse thread, btw!)
  • East street cycles walton on thames. Where are you? I am in Walton ride a Boardman and could assist if you are not too far away.
  • East street cycles walton on thames. Where are you? I am in Walton ride a Boardman and could assist if you are not too far away.
    Miles away, Kensal Green, NW10 but a very kind offer, thank you
  • Thanks for the posts folks. As for building the bike myself I have no knowledge of hydraulic brakes, have no idea how to adjust gears etc so I feel a competent cycle repairer is the best way of getting it built
  • But you shouldn't need to touch any of those bits!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You'll need to do it regularly, the gears anyway, so you might as well start somewhere.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • But you shouldn't need to touch any of those bits!

So they would come with fluid in them already?
    cooldad wrote:
    You'll need to do it regularly, the gears anyway, so you might as well start somewhere.

A very valid point, it's the fear of screwing up a £850 bike versus paying someone £50 - I mean, Halfords did such a bad job on the last one, the hydraulic disc brakes failed on me approaching a red light, both of them a week after collecting it. Hence my reticence.
  • Brakes will come with fluid in them already. They should arrive at Halfords with fluid in them already.

All you should need to do is straighten the bars, put pedals on, adjust saddle height and put the front wheel on.

Make sure everything is tight and works (which it should do, but Halfords) then go and buy yourself something nice with the apparent £50 you saved. Job done.
    Delete my fucking account.
  • ChoobDriver
    ChoobDriver Posts: 8
    edited November 2013
    I decided to pay to have the bike assembled. I found a company called Mobeone http://www.mobeone.org

They are a mobile servicing firm. I booked them to come and assemble my Boardman at my home today at 13:00, the guy was on time, seriously to the second, bang on.

He took the bike out to his mobile workshop and proceeded with assembly. I went out to chat and check out my new bike and during the conversation something dawned on me. This guy imho probably makes an average wage but he seemed not to care, he loved working on bikes, seriously so.

He assembled my bike, adjusted everything then adjusted everything again. I rode the bike and what a contrast to the last two Boardmans Halfords assembled for me. Honestly.

I was tempted to build the thing myself but I am really happy I decided to use this firm, bike rides like a dream.

Here is a pic of my new wheels, chuffed:
    282ea0fbd60b6e2a50aad1cc660ac8ba_view.jpg
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just as a matter of interest, how much did he charge?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Just as a matter of interest, how much did he charge?

£45 all in, not bad since my LBS and Cycle Surgery both quoted £60