That moment when it all goes wrong in slow-mo ....

Chunky101
Chunky101 Posts: 108
edited November 2013 in Road beginners
So I was feeling smug successfully navigating a narrow width restriction on a cycle path with the missus behind me admiring how deftly I manoeuvred the bike, I didn't see the pot hole filed with wet leaves to the right, lost the front and toppled like a prizes t!t thanks to my cleats. No damage except to my overshoes and ego. Damn I love riding :)

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Pride comes before a fall!
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Nice one,one for you been framed was it...
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    bth_this_thread_is_useless_without_pics.gif
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Glad you're OK!

Speaking from experience, that moment when you hang in the air with everything going in slow motion, thinking this is going to hurt is horrible!
  • Nearly had that today hitting a patch of wet leaves on a bend. Never been so close to a brown pants moment in the years I have been cycling!

Instinctive control and luck kept me on but the bike was fully sideways and everything went slow-mo.
  • mlgt
    mlgt Posts: 366
    I cant agree more. When I slammed into the pavement a few months ago and landed on my chin.
    The thought of "Oh Sh....." and then the inpact.

The pain came in the form of a headache and I needed 7 stiches on my chin.

However few cm either way would have landed on my mouth or nose :(
    That wouldnt have been nice.
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • mlgt wrote:
    I cant agree more. When I slammed into the pavement a few months ago and landed on my chin.
    The thought of "Oh Sh....." and then the inpact.

The pain came in the form of a headache and I needed 7 stiches on my chin.

However few cm either way would have landed on my mouth or nose :(
    That wouldnt have been nice.

Ouch, I did well to avoid my face, although there's always a next time. I've been told that you're not a proper cyclist until you've toppled off next to a stationary car full of kids watching :mrgreen:
  • mlgt
    mlgt Posts: 366
    Another one ticked off then :D
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My latest slow motion fall didn't injure me physically at all. I was taking the wheely bin out and my best bike must've been leaning against it in some way. Fell sideways onto the garage floor. Expensive side down :( Another scuff to the saddle, bar tape and RH shifter. Only later noticed the scraped rear mech no longer sitting vertically. Haven't investigated any further yet; just ordered another mech hanger cos this one is clearly bent like a banana. Well pissed off.
  • Chunky101 wrote:
    mlgt wrote:
    Ouch, I did well to avoid my face, although there's always a next time. I've been told that you're not a proper cyclist until you've toppled off next to a stationary car full of kids watching :mrgreen:
    that's me then,i am a proper cyclist....happened one night me and a few mates went to do a tt for a bit of fun.i was still getting used to being clipped in and as I came up to the start line I stopped and tried to put my foot down....uh-oh....gravity decided it was having me and I fell over on my side with everyone looking at me.one of the guys there had his young daughter with him in the car and she was hanging out the window in stitches laughing which made everyone else start laughing....longest 30 secs ever waiting on the guy to shout GO

think it helped me get a good start tho as I couldn't get outta there quick enough :lol::lol::lol:
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • keef66 wrote:
    My latest slow motion fall didn't injure me physically at all. I was taking the wheely bin out and my best bike must've been leaning against it in some way. Fell sideways onto the garage floor. Expensive side down :( Another scuff to the saddle, bar tape and RH shifter. Only later noticed the scraped rear mech no longer sitting vertically. Haven't investigated any further yet; just ordered another mech hanger cos this one is clearly bent like a banana. Well pissed off.

Ouch, I think I'd rather some bruises than damage the bike. Just when I thought my shoulder was recovered from my topple I managed to get a steam burn in the kitchen and flinched, yanked my shoulder awkwardly and it's flippin' painful again. Grrr...
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    These moments always happen when there's an audience...
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Spot the pothole, lift the front end and manual through it, you'd have been fine.

Glad there's no lasting damage to you or the bike.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.