Tarmac or Roubaix?

Spinfaster
Spinfaster Posts: 54
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi, i have just sold my Specialized allez elite and am looking at upgrading to either a tarmac or a roubaix, i am not sure on the year yet but does anyone have any preference to which way i should go as i have not rode either of them!
One a huge amount better than the other? Open to all opinions.
Thanks in advance

Comments

• rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    I've been on both and although neither would be my choice, but if I had
    to pick it would be the Tarmac every time.

Does this help....
  • Sir Velo
    Sir Velo Posts: 143
    Depends on what sort of riding you do/want to do.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I thought the Tarmac was the carbon version of the Allez.
    If you liked the Allez then would have thought you would prefer the Tarmac.
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    Roubaix is more of a sportive bike.
    Tarmac a racer.

Both great bikes. Get a expert or above if you can as the frames are better than lesser models
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Tarmac has the same geometry as the Allez. If you found the Allez comfortable then try a tarmac
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    You need to test ride both.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Sit up and beg on the Roubaix!
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I ride a Roubaix SL3 and it's fabulous, I have the tyres at 120psi and feel comfortable on even the worst roads. After 100 miles only my legs are sore. The Tarmac has a racier position but the Roubaix is just so comfy and very quick.

There's quite a lot of frame options from very high spec to fairly cheap carbon, they even do a version with Sora now. So not all Roubaix's are equal. Some are internal cable routing, some like mine are internal. PM me if want more info on Roubaix's.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Slowbike wrote:
    Tarmac has the same geometry as the Allez. If you found the Allez comfortable then try a tarmac

This ^

...and this >
    Kajjal wrote:
    You need to test ride both.
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    unixnerd wrote:
    I ride a Roubaix SL3 and it's fabulous, I have the tyres at 120psi and feel comfortable on even the worst roads. After 100 miles only my legs are sore. The Tarmac has a racier position but the Roubaix is just so comfy and very quick.

There's quite a lot of frame options from very high spec to fairly cheap carbon, they even do a version with Sora now. So not all Roubaix's are equal. Some are internal cable routing, some like mine are internal. PM me if want more info on Roubaix's.

I have an SL3 S works Roubaix- fantastic bike.
    Although there is a difference in the frames, there are only 3 variants, 8r carbon in the base models, 10r for expert/pro and 11r for the S works.

I would go for a 10r or better, with Ultegra or better. That will get you a bike weighing a smidge over 7kg .

Base models Roubaixs on the other hand, may be cheap but they weigh 10/11kg due to a heavy frame, poor wheels and groupset

For Tarmac, same applies but the base models are 9r carbon
  • Wow, thanks for all the replies, i had the allez for two years covering 9000 miles, it was comfy ish, not perfect by no means! Sometimes i would have pains in my elbows and in my neck, not to mention my knees, but thats another story!
    I have read how the roubaix is a far more comfy bike than the tarmac??
    I quite often go out for a day and cover 100 plus miles when the suns shining, but i do now and again like to go out for a hard 2 hours and cover 40 miles.
    I was really looking at the fact 8r carbon, would this be worth giving a miss and going for something like the 10r?
    Ideally internal cables, with an ultegra groupset. Wheels and hubs are something that i am not 100% up to date with, but i do appreciate what a massive difference a good set of wheels makes! I would like to purchase a bike that has a very good set of wheels on it in standard form....... any more opinions and views are more than welcome!
    Cheers guys :D
  • unixnerd
    Buy the best frame you can and keep it for years. Even my roubaix didn't come with great wheels and it cost over 3000 pounds, that's where most manufacturers save money. But it was still money well spent.

I love my Cannondale CAAD5, if anything it feels faster than my Roubaix. But you feel every little bump in the road.
  • unixnerd wrote:
    Buy the best frame you can and keep it for years. Even my roubaix didn't come with great wheels and it cost over 3000 pounds, that's where most manufacturers save money. But it was still money well spent.

I love my Cannondale CAAD5, if anything it feels faster than my Roubaix. But you feel every little bump in the road.

What roubaix would you suggest i go for? i know the frame size i need, just need the right bike as i do plan on having it for a couple of years at least.
    Thanks
  • unixnerd
    I have an SL3 Expert with Ultegra, wanted Dura-Ace but there were none left in the UK and that was last May! They sell quickly. The new SL4 is meant to have a lower and racier position than the SL3 so personally I'd prefer my SL3. If you get the chance it might be worth riding both.

If you want an SL3 don't rule out a used one. I saw one on ebay with Dura-Ace and decent wheels for 1700 the other day.

Bikes with Ultegra came in two frames types when I bought mine. My SL3 has internal cable routing but there was a cheaper option with maybe a lower grade of carbon and external routing. So don't assume anything, there are a lot of options with the Roubaix.