First Road Bike for an MTBer

mcnultycop
mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
I'm usually found over in the MTB section, but I'm at a point where I fancy a road bike so thought I'd pop over here for some advice. I want a road bike mainly to shift some more weight, a road bike means I can ride from the front door in winter and not have as much post ride cleaning to do - the full suspension in particular has a terrible ride to cleaning ratio if I just have a short ride. I tend to ride alone too so coming off on the MTB on a night ride is a potential significant disaster. I don't want to spend a lot as I've not got any room for more bikes in the house and this will have to live in the shed, so about £500ish is my limit.

I definitely want a bike with a compact crankset. The plan is to do one night ride of maybe 90 minutes one evening a week in and around Saddleworth and then maybe similar on a Saturday morning. I'd like something that would be OK for the odd excursion up to Hebden Bridge when I get a bit fitter so I can have a crack at Cragg Vale.

I was looking at this Defy 2 from Paul's but am not sure if the 24 spoke front wheel is a bit lightweight for me (I'm 118kg currently and do a lot of barbell work also, so am aiming for 100kg, so will need a sturdy wheel!) Specification on this seems good and I understand Tiagra is decent value kit.

The Defy was more than I wanted to spend and this Felt at Wiggle came up in my searches. I understand Sora is one down the range from Tiagra but still OK kit. This is 9 speed to the Defy's 10 speed but for an MTBer the 32 tooth big sprocket might be a nice option for me - would the jumps in gearing be too big though on a road bike? I prefer the subtle black looks of the Felt, less attractive to any thief that saw me putting it in the shed, plus it has slightly larger tyres which I guess for someone used to 150mm of suspension either end on 2.35" tyres might help with any comfort issues.

In terms of sizing I am just under 5'10" but with only a 29" inside leg (trouser sizing, not "officially measured") so was thinking the 54cm would be the correct option.

I really think the Felt would be a decent option to see how I get on with road biking (and leave me some cash to try clipless shoes/pedals for the first time) and was going to order one this afternoon, but thought I'd see if the collective knowledge on here could advise. I had looked at the Triban (3 and 5) at Decathlon and am willing to look at any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    118kg means that all wheels that come on £500 will be short lived they higher spoke count one will survive longer but no stock wheel on a £500 bike is going to last. I would suggest a touring as they are designed to carry a heavy load.

24 spoke rears are a no no. Buy a bike and swap out the wheel with some handbuilt (no factory options really), 36 spoke count with Sapim Race spoke front and NDS rear and Sapim Strong spokes DS rear on Shimano 105 hubs and Velocity A23, H plus Archetype, Ambrosio evolution or Velocity Deep V rims. The Deep V's are probably the best there are other rims too. No point in having wheels that break spokes is there and you will have to up your budget.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If you are 118kg, powerfully built and ride on rough roads you will rapidly go through standard road bike wheels. As previously suggested 36 hole / spoke wheels will be needed. You may consider a cyclocross bike which has stronger wheels etc while being very similar to a road bike. You may even find a mountain bike with slick tyres better.

The other thing is having brakes good enough to stop you. I am just under 100kg and my road bike 105 brakes are fine in the dry but even with swisstop green pads less so in the wet on steep downhills. Disc brakes will be better as the ones on my hardtail mountain bike stop me very quickly with good modulation.
  • mcnultycop
    Kajjal wrote:
    You may consider a cyclocross bike which has stronger wheels etc while being very similar to a road bike.

Something like this would probably push my budget too far. I might look at the Felt and if the wheels have issues down the line look at them then.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    mcnultycop wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:
    You may consider a cyclocross bike which has stronger wheels etc while being very similar to a road bike.

Something like this would probably push my budget too far. I might look at the Felt and if the wheels have issues down the line look at them then.

That's fair enough just make sure you check your wheels on a regular basis for any problems.
  • mcnultycop
    I've ordered the Felt, and some SPD pedals and shoes.

Cheers for the input.
  • Graham K
    Graham K Posts: 329
    You will notice a big difference in riding a roadie to an MTB, my mate bought his 1st roadie earlier this year and at noticed a huge difference.
    I had an issue of popping spokes, so much so I ended up with flatspots in the wheel and ended up buying new hoops, hey ho the joys of cycling :lol:

You'll enjoy it, have a look on my Strava for my Thornham TT, thats done on the roadie, Oh and Buckstones doesnt get any easier, ever :shock: :lol:
  • mcnultycop
    Had a few rides on this now, the last couple of rides being clipped in. It's a nice bit of kit for the cash. Skinny wheels and terrifying brakes (particularly in the wet) will take some getting used to, but as a tool for training in it'll be alright.

Wheels seem really sturdily built so far.

Graham - missed your post previously, I'll look up the Thornham TT. I'm lagging behind you on some climbs on Strava so I'll keep working on that...
  • Graham K
    Graham K Posts: 329
    mcnultycop wrote:
    Had a few rides on this now, the last couple of rides being clipped in. It's a nice bit of kit for the cash. Skinny wheels and terrifying brakes (particularly in the wet) will take some getting used to, but as a tool for training in it'll be alright.

Wheels seem really sturdily built so far.

Graham - missed your post previously, I'll look up the Thornham TT. I'm lagging behind you on some climbs on Strava so I'll keep working on that...

I hate the climbs as much as you, just plug in and grind away.