Cable housing

ej2320
ej2320 Posts: 1,543
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
Right, I'm buying some cable housing from my new build...

What's a safe bet on the length I should order
It's sold by the metres, I was thinking 3 metres would be the job, or would 2 be enough?

This will be for the front and rear shifters and housing will need to cover the entire length of the cable.

Cheers

Comments

• http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/clar ... -prod71569

Get that and stick the leftover in the shed.

I got one last time. Done front and rear on 2 bikes and still got loads left, plus its brilliant. I run full outers and have super slick shifting.
  • ej2320
    I would but I'm on a very tight budget so I need to save the pounds where I can

http://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-gea ... tAodMCEAXw

I can get this with free delivery, what length did you use roughly on the front and rear? I'm thinking I should get 3 metres in case I mess it up
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just make sure they send you a continuous bit and not 1m lengths.
    CRC did that to me once, (I ordered 10m) fortunately each bit was roughly 2m long so I ended up with close on double, but...
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ej2320
    cooldad wrote:
    CRC did that to me once, (I ordered 10m) fortunately each bit was roughly 2m long so I ended up with close on double, but...

Good point, I'd never have thought of that

Although I'd expect that from CRC the amount of times they mess up...

"This product is sold by the metre and cut to the length you require. To buy more than 1 metre, simply put the number of metres you wish to purchase into the quantity field."

I'd say they cut it from a massive length so it will be a long strip, to be safe I could order a pre packed 5m length of Jagwire
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    cooldad wrote:
    well you will not be wanting your outers to be longer than your inners will you. so get equal lengths and you can not go wrong.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ej2320
    nicklouse wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    well you will not be wanting your outers to be longer than your inners will you. so get equal lengths and you can not go wrong.

I'm not sure why I didn't think of that... I'll do that!

Cheers
  • cooldad
    nicklouse wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Yeah but a whole lot of 1m lengths are pretty useless running full length outers.
    I'd rather have long bits and cut shorter as required.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ej2320
    cooldad wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Yeah but a whole lot of 1m lengths are pretty useless running full length outers.
    I'd rather have long bits and cut shorter as required.

Exactly what I want

What I understood Nicks comment as is, measure the total length of the cable both front and back and match the outer to that.. and if he didn't he inspired me
  • ej2320 wrote:
    I was thinking 3 metres would be the job, or would 2 be enough?

for the front and rear shifters and housing will need to cover the entire length of the cable.

Cheers

2m?? hahaha...good luck with that!

Just measure what you need and round it up to nearest metre (using piece of string, cable etc)
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Dawesy92
    Dawesy92 Posts: 606
    I Brought the jagwire mountain cable kit. Comes in a full length roll about 3meters I think ive never had a problem with shifts at all while using it :-)
  • cooldad
    The SP41 the OP linked to is, IMHO, the best outer you can get.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:

Just over two quid a metre (exclusive postage) here: http://www.bike-components.de/products/info/p24861{1}22309_Schaltzugau-enhuelle-SIS-SP41-.html

Stop mucking about and order a 300-metre roll. :P
  • ej2320
    cooldad wrote:

Just over two quid a metre (exclusive postage) here: http://www.bike-components.de/products/info/p24861{1}22309_Schaltzugau-enhuelle-SIS-SP41-.html

Stop mucking about and order a 300-metre roll. :P

I think 300 maybe a little too much haha

I've measured up my cables and I reckon 4 or 5 metres will be enough to allow a mistake as well