Seatpost still creaking after re-greasing it

ForumNewbie
ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
edited November 2013 in Workshop
My Sirrus hybrid seatpost has been creaking for a while now, which is really annoying. I re-greased it but after a couple of miles it starts creaking really badly again. It's an alloy frame and seatpost. The noise stops as soon as I stand up out of the saddle so I know its definitely the seatpost creaking.

I would appreciate any advice about how I can fix this.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Did you disassemble the clamp, cradle; clean all surfaces and lightly grease before reassembling?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • chrisgal
    chrisgal Posts: 130
    Are you sure it's not the saddle it's self?? I recently thought I had a creaking seatpost to find out it was actually my weight causing the saddle to creak when climbing.
  • ForumNewbie
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Did you disassemble the clamp, cradle; clean all surfaces and lightly grease before reassembling?
    I'm not sure what you mean. I took the seatpost out of the seat tube and cleaned it before re-greasing it.
  • ForumNewbie
    chrisgal wrote:
    Are you sure it's not the saddle it's self?? I recently thought I had a creaking seatpost to find out it was actually my weight causing the saddle to creak when climbing.
    Never thought of that, as when I've had same problem a few years ago, re-greasing the seatpost worked. Don't know what to do if it's the saddle itself?
  • I had this problem, it drove me mad. It wasn't the seat post in my case, it was the rails. Greased or non-greased, it drove me nuts.

It was the way I'd tightened the saddle rails on to the clamp. My Giant has two bolts, one underneath at the back, one on top at the front. The front one is a bit of a bugger to get at unless there's a slot in the front of the saddle (like Selle SMP ones).

I'd done the back one up good and tight, but the front one not so tight. Strangely, I managed to make the same mistake with three different saddles I was trying.

Once I got the front one tight as well, the creaking stopped.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • ForumNewbie
    I had this problem, it drove me mad. It wasn't the seat post in my case, it was the rails. Greased or non-greased, it drove me nuts.

It was the way I'd tightened the saddle rails on to the clamp. My Giant has two bolts, one underneath at the back, one on top at the front. The front one is a bit of a bugger to get at unless there's a slot in the front of the saddle (like Selle SMP ones).

I'd done the back one up good and tight, but the front one not so tight. Strangely, I managed to make the same mistake with three different saddles I was trying.

Once I got the front one tight as well, the creaking stopped.
    Thanks, I've now tried tightening the bolts to the saddle rails and then took off the saddle and greased the rails, but it's still creaking unfortunately.
  • chrisgal
    chrisgal Posts: 130
    Can you try another saddle?
  • boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    Mine was the saddle rails creaking. I added a bit of silicone grease to the points where the rails enter the shell. I'd already tried the clamp and where the post entered the frame. It sorted it for me and was driving me mad before :-)