Alternative to c24 wheels

#david2012
#david2012 Posts: 275
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Bought some c24 wheels from here back in Feb and love them :D
They transform every bike I put them on.
I'm looking to treat myself to some new wheels and was wondering which mavics would be a fair comparison?
I've been looking at the cosmics and ksyrium elites....
Any opinions much appreciated.

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Don't bother with Ksyrium Elites, unless you want a more wooden feel than you have, if you want more plush feeling consider Racing Zero or Shamal Ultras. Plenty of great handbuilt options you could have too. If you want Cosmics then nevermind, you can always seek help.
  • The sound of sensible thinking... I have a lot to learn lol
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I think you'll have a problem finding a better alternative to the c24's - they are such good all rounders.

I have a pair of Fulcrum Zero's which I reckon are superb wheels - they roll forever however, there is a bit of a trade off in so far as they are the stiffest wheels I've used. Still love them though!

If it's just a bit of a change you are seeking, maybe take a punt on a pair of dura ace c35's?

Can't really comment on Mavic's - I have a pair of R-Sys which are great other than slight demerit on the aero front (if that's important to you) and my slight lack of confidence in the hollow carbon spoke technology. I've been using them for the last 2 or 3 years without incident so probably just a notion planted in my head after the initial problems the 1st gen models suffered.

Peter
  • #david2012 wrote:
    I'm looking to treat myself to some new wheels and was wondering which mavics would be a fair comparison?

Hi David,

In terms of price the 9000-C24 wheelset would be equivalent to the Ksyrium SLS WTS or Cosmic Carbone SLS WTS and the RS80-C24 / RS81-C24 around Ksyrium Elite S WTS level.

One point to consider is that the Cosmic Carbone, with 52mm rim profile, is geared more towards a rider looking for the advantages associated with an aero wheelset whereas the Ksyrium range is more of an all-round wheelset for mixed terrain. They're both designed for different purposes so it really comes down to what your intended use is going to be. I hope that helps.

Ride safe,

Mike Cotty
    Mavic Community Manager
  • #david2012 wrote:

Why would you buy some comparable wheels? Surely you'd be wanting something better, not just the same?
  • Go aero for something different but as good. There are many 38mm & 50mm tall 23mm wide carbon rims out there as used by Wheelsmith, Easton, Reynolds, Strada, or Spin for you to add a different arrow to your quivver. If you're light and a nervous descender get a 38/50 combo. If you want to climb get 38/38. If you live in Norfolk get 50/88 :-)
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • That's useful info mike thank you for your time!
    Mark yes I would but being a believer in the laws of diminishing returns it's weighing up the extra cost to performance gain at my level.
    NorthPole.... Hmmmm I've been looking at c35's !
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    #david2012 wrote:

So you do not require any more wheels then do you.

If spending money is what floats your boat you could always try some handbuilt tubs.
    Yellow is the new Black.