New chain - gears skipping

booktownman
booktownman Posts: 151
edited November 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I've replaced my chain, tool checker showed the old one was *just* worn. I bought the checker as I've had problems in the past running chains long past the point where they should be changed and ended up with knackered cassettes.

Anyways, new chain on and it's skipping like mad on a couple of the sprockets. Is it normal to have to change the cassette every time a new chain goes on? The cassette hardly looks worn at all...

Cheers in advance,

BTM

Comments

• If it really was just worn then it may need to bed in. Factory grease sometimes is quite stiff.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if the cassette is worn then yes a correctly fitted chain can skip.

but an incorrectly fitted or set up chain can also skip.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Depends on various things but if you mainly use only a couple of gears they will wear faster. Did you use the chain checker when in one of the worn gears ?
  • I didn't use the checker in one of the worn gears, I didn't know I needed to.

Maybe I should try riding it a bit and see if it beds in. Otherwise, I might as well stick the old chain back on and run it until it's properly shagged.
  • You're not supposed to, because it makes no difference!
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    You're not supposed to, because it makes no difference!

I have no idea why I posted that bit :shock: