Going Tubless - newbie question

Mr moofo
Mr moofo Posts: 10
edited November 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Ok

Tubeless Nobby Nicks
Crest (stand no tubes ) rims.
Yellow tubeless tape on place

Being lazy I zapped the new tyres one, loaded up the tyres with no stand fluid and went in search of car tyre compressor. Unfortunately the presta to schader adapter I had was too small to trigger the car tyre compressor. It did however manage to snap one of the values.

So now I need advice - looking at You Tube stuff , some talk about "rim tape" - do I need this in addition to the yellow stuff ? (ps I bought the wheels second hand but tubeless ready)
The tyres I have don't fit flush at the edges on the rim, they are sitting in towards the centre line a couple of mm, I was hoping car compressor would snap everything into place.
Do the tyre bead have to be sitting "flush" to the rim - if so , how to I get the buggers in place - as they are not going there without a major struggle ...
I have to use tyre levers to get the bead onto the rim - again all the you tube stuff show guys effortlessly popping tyres into rims
Do Nobby N not work with Crest rims?

If I try it with a Lidl (yeah, I know) track pump I get nothing - just the felling of air around my hands - so I guess they are not sealed in any way at all ...
Seems like a complete faff - so just before I go and but two 29er inner tubes, what am I doing wrong

And yes I have tried search!!

Comments

• Sorted
    And thanks for the help, Freedom Bikes 8)
  • How did you do it? Im trying to get some Furious Freds to seal on my Mavic XM319 wheels. Even with a compressor I cant get them to take up.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I did it by putting a tube in to get the bead seated, then removing the tube by only unseating one side of the tyre. I then removed the tubeless valve core and it inflated with a track pump. Don't forget the soapy water!
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • dusk wrote:
    I did it by putting a tube in to get the bead seated, then removing the tube by only unseating one side of the tyre. I then removed the tubeless valve core and it inflated with a track pump. Don't forget the soapy water!

Tried that but still no joy. Im going to do the split 26" inner tube method next and trim the excess off. The tyre feels very slack on the rim. Perhaps there is too much slack? Hope the split tube method does the trick.
  • mainsy
    mainsy Posts: 57
    I used gorilla tape for mine. Tyre wouldn't inflate when the tyre was slack on the rim. I done three wraps of tape in total to take up the slack and worked a charm
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    I used a couple of turns of electrical tape to get my High Rollers onto Flows as they were too slack with just the Stans yellow tape.
    Also Google "Ghetto tubeless inflator" (or something similar), a 2ltr coke bottle some tube and a couple of old valves and no more need to go find a compressor.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Tried again with the split inner tube. Still no good. Stans fluid all over the place! Will have a go at packing the slack up with waterproof gaffer tape next. Im buggered if its going to beat me.