Boardman Urban?

woozor
woozor Posts: 117
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
Whats peoples opinions on the boardman urban mtb?

Has anyone got one if so how do you find it? And how capable has it been offroad on the trails?

As I'm looking for a do it all bike atm to get me back into cycling before I get another road bike next summer.

please let me know cheers.

Comments

• always gets good reviews , very light , and im sure it would cope with trails , any more would need a tyre change
    ive got a ht pro and love it
  • woozor wrote:
    Whats peoples opinions on the boardman urban mtb?

Has anyone got one if so how do you find it? And how capable has it been offroad on the trails?

As I'm looking for a do it all bike atm to get me back into cycling before I get another road bike next summer.

please let me know cheers.

I bought one for exacly the same reasons just over a year ago. Its actually a very capable off roader and the carbon fork is a bit of a revalation. I happily ride over house brick sized rocks at full pelt on mine but if you ride long, boulder laiden / rocky routes you do occasionally find yourself wondering whether you need to upgrade to suspension. ( like after I descended potatoe alley on it in the peaks )

I thought I would ride it a bit on the road with the skinny tyres and a bit off road with knobblies but ended up buying a cheap road bike from decathalon very soon after and just using the Boardman for Mtb use just so I had the extra hand postitions you get with dropped handlebars.

If you want guaranteed off road ability across challenging terrain ( particularily the length of the descents due to getting stiff hands / wrists ) then I would say just get a bike with suspension.

If you want to go for longish road rides then I personally didnt get on with the lack of hand positions.

If you want a bike that will fly across town / commute or in between off road trails on the road, do 80% of any off road trails pretty well and still get you up / down all but maybe the very last few percent of technical trails then its a great compromise.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I have a rigid 26'er MTB for around town / commuting. I love it. Can cope with moderate off road - singletrack, fireroads etc with ease. Especailly if you go for bigger volume tyres and run at 30-35psi. Bit slower on technical / rocky stuff but worth it if most of your time is on road or easy off road. In these cirumstances it feels much tighter, faster & responsive. Cheaper to run too.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • had mine for over a year, its a very good mile cruncher, on easy cycle routes, ive tried it on more demanding routes and i wouldnt recommend it, unless your have good wrists and plenty of skill, i use mine for mainly training rides on bike paths, so i dont find it a problem, ive fitted mtb tyres also 1.95" kenda small block 8s, which are light and fast.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Is it still available?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500