Helmet Rain Cover Recommendations

starbuck
starbuck Posts: 256
edited January 2014 in Commuting general
I commute to work everyday and after being fed up with wet helmet pads when I go home (if it's been raining in the morning), I'm looking for a helmet cover (that will cover a large helmet with a peak) that will not only keep my head dry but also my helmet.

I've looked at a couple and there is a Gore one for £30-40 odd but there are also others like a night vision one for half that price. I've also been looking at a carradice Duxback helmet cover (which seems waterproof as it's a waxy type cover and it's only £9 (although I don't know if it would fit my helmet).

Does anyone have any recommendations for a helmet cover?

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Then they'll just get wet with sweat instead and you'll end up with a smelly helmet.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Press some paper towel or toilet roll into your helmet, should dry most of the water out of it by the time you go home
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I use a Sealskinz skull cap, it dries really quickly and even it you get wet you stay warm. If it's really chucking down I tend to mtb and swap the helmet for a Sealskinz hat (guys in the office call it my Aviemore hat as only someone who lived there would need such a thing!).
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    unixnerd wrote:
    I use a Sealskinz skull cap, it dries really quickly and even it you get wet you stay warm. If it's really chucking down I tend to mtb and swap the helmet for a Sealskinz hat (guys in the office call it my Aviemore hat as only someone who lived there would need such a thing!).

I use one of their "mountain caps". They do have an annoying popper that can conflict with some helmet fronts, and I've never really fond a use for on the hill. Most "mountain caps" have this from the first one by Lowe Alpine (IIRC).

Below about -5°C, I put the ear flaps down as well.
  • When it's really cold I use a skull cap, but when it's wet, I use my buff as a head cover, and this stops the rain running into my eyes.

Been thinking of a helmet cover, but as others have pointed out you get ventilation problems.
  • Yep, me too. IMO better than a lid cover, skull caps are thin enough to fit under the helmet and stop rain water running into my eyes yet they are thick enough to keep my ears warm in this cold weather.
    When it's really cold I use a skull cap, but when it's wet, I use my buff as a head cover, and this stops the rain running into my eyes.

Been thinking of a helmet cover, but as others have pointed out you get ventilation problems.