Matte paint touch ups

mhunterphoto
mhunterphoto Posts: 18
edited November 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Picked up a dirt cheap Merida Matt 50 yesterday for my first proper venture into mountain biking.

It needs a little love, which is expected when you pay £120 for a bike ha! One thing thats boggling my mind is a few minor scratches on the paint work. Its a blue matte finish.

Any tips on retouching it?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ride it and the mud will cover them up.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Picked up a dirt cheap Merida Matt 50 yesterday for my first proper venture into mountain biking.

It needs a little love, which is expected when you pay £120 for a bike ha! One thing thats boggling my mind is a few minor scratches on the paint work. Its a blue matte finish.

Any tips on retouching it?

No idea what your colour's like (no pics), but Kawasaki did a matt blue Zed Thou a few years back, so touch up paint for that might be close? Or you might get an approximation by finding a similar shade of blue and matt lacquer.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Cover up with some stickers. Dont worry after a few rides you wont notice the scratches anyway.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Kowalski675
    Matt paint finishes are always fragile and show every little scratch and chip too, so probably not worth the time and effort - you'll just be more annoyed when it gets scratched again, unless you cover it all in matt helicopter tape.
  • If its only in a small place, get a decal that you like and just stick it over it. Best way to get rid of it in my opinion.

It is bound to get scratched or definitely dirty anyway, and you probably wont mind too much about how clean it looks after a couple of months.
  • Beers guys! Yeah thinking about it I am probably being a little stupid trying to make it look brand new!
  • Kowalski675
    Could always powdercoat or anodise it, if you want to give it an inexpensive new look.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    A mountain bike should have scratches

Go ride and scratch it some more
  • If its only in a small place, get a decal that you like and just stick it over it. Best way to get rid of it in my opinion.

It is bound to get scratched or definitely dirty anyway, and you probably wont mind too much about how clean it looks after a couple of months.

says the guy who's re-painted his bike umpteen times :roll:
  • 3 times, one was basically compulsory because the factory paint was a mess when i got it.