Warranty. Should I?

raldat
raldat Posts: 242
edited November 2013 in MTB general
Quick question. I have a canyon 29er which was purchased in June. The SRAM GPX bottom bracket has a seized bearing and is stuffed.

Should I attempt a warranty claim on this or is that considered a wear item in the collective opinion of the forum? I mean I wouldn't attempt a claim for pads or even a chain or cassette. Bottom brackets do wear it but 6 months of not really wet riding seems a little short.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Wear and tear.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    No chance. Invest in a Hope or Chris King bottom bracket. Not cheap but they last for years.
  • raldat
    Yep, you confirmed my thoughts. Thanks for answering.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I would give it a go, while it is something designed to wear out four months or so seems very short. I bought my new MTB a couple of months before you , did a lot of miles off road and nothing has yet worn out.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Worth a try but a new GPX BB is cheap if they wont bite.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    stubs wrote:

Or a GXP? :wink:
  • stubs
    stubs wrote:

Or a GXP? :wink:

Naah GXP are cheap rubbish go for the GPX made by SARM in Chian
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Sounds good. I'll order one, lol.
  • raldat
    Yeah yeah, you got me ;)
  • Polf
    Polf Posts: 64
    Definitely try it. No part, whether moving or not should wear out in that time. My headset went after three months. It was a cheap one and the LBS told me it was a moving part, normal wear and tear and they would not replace it. Under consumer laws, if anything is damaged within the first six months, then it is assumed that the part was faulty at the point of sale. The onus is on the shop/website to prove otherwise. Bike companies take a lot of money from us. It's only fair that they pay up when things go wrong. After a lot of arguing with my LBS where I had brought the bike from, I managed to persuade them to replace my cheap headset with a better more expensive one covered by a five year warranty. This was free of charge and I successfully argued that, at the price I paid for my bike, I don't expect any part to be cheap rubbish. Go for it and ask for an upgraded BB.
    Yeti SB95
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275
    On One 456C

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, does not try it on"
  • Polf
    Sorry, just noticed that you have a Canyon. German consumer laws, (something which I have no knowledge of), will apply. Worth a go though.
    Yeti SB95
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275
    On One 456C

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, does not try it on"
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What headset comes with a 5 year warranty?
    Cups or bearings?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Polf
    cooldad wrote:
    Cups or bearings?
    Maybe warranty wasn't the right word. The headset was a ceramic Acros. The LBS stocked them and promised me that it would last at least 5 years. As they had messed me around so much, I got them to put it in to writing with a promise that they will replace it for free should it wear out in that time. More of a good will promise from the shop than a warranty. It hasn't worn out yet, so I've yet to test their integrity.
    Yeti SB95
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275
    On One 456C

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    That's an unreasonably short lifespan, unless you ride loads. But then GXP stands for Unreasonably Short Lifespan, they are both awful, and incompatible with most alternatives, the pricks.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    cooldad wrote:
    Cups or bearings?

Chris King come with a 10 year warranty, Cane Creek 110 comes with a 110 year warranty.
  • cooldad
    Yeah, on the cups. I've never managed to break those yet.
    When they offer it on the bearings I'll be sold.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • njee20
    No, the bearings.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    might want to have a look at EU directive 1999/44/EC
  • Northwind
    For whatever it's worth, a mate of mine tried to get King to replace the bearings in his headset after they went scrunchy in about 2 years, they told him to bugger off. The fun part was, they insisted it was his fault but couldn't tell him why it was his fault, but he'd absolutely definitely 100% either powerwashed it or used unsuitable grease or fitted it wrong. Pretty much what you'd expect from the inventors of the fork-destroying headset tbh.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    Northwind wrote:
    For whatever it's worth, a mate of mine tried to get King to replace the bearings in his headset after they went scrunchy in about 2 years, they told him to bugger off. The fun part was, they insisted it was his fault but couldn't tell him why it was his fault, but he'd absolutely definitely 100% either powerwashed it or used unsuitable grease or fitted it wrong. Pretty much what you'd expect from the inventors of the fork-destroying headset tbh.
    Why fork destroying?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • stubs
    cooldad wrote:
    Northwind wrote:
    Why fork destroying?

The headsets have a reputation for scoring the steerer tube and in some cases weakening it and making it scrap.
  • Northwind
    They refused to pay the dia-compe licence fee and used their own daft design with an o-ring instead of a split ring, which can cause the headset to wear the steerer especially with a longer fork. King always claimed that theirs was the superior design and in no way were they just being cheap, until the very day the dia-compe patent lapsed and they could use a split-ring without paying them, at which point they switched. Oh, and kindly offered to sell owners the parts to fix their old headsets, for £25, because if you rip people off for a second time it cancels out the first.

I'm lucky, the scoring on my forks isn't bad enough to cause a problem, it was caught in time and the headset replaced with an £20 Cane Creek which works better.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    Aaaah. I've used FSA Orbit XLII for years because they are always on Ebay for under £20 and last for ages. Cheaper to buy a new one than new bearings.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    Yes, claim under warranty. It should not sieze up after only 5 months. Then when the new one goes replace with a Hope or King.
  • Northwind wrote:
    They refused to pay the dia-compe licence fee and used their own daft design with an o-ring instead of a split ring, which can cause the headset to wear the steerer especially with a longer fork. King always claimed that theirs was the superior design and in no way were they just being cheap, until the very day the dia-compe patent lapsed and they could use a split-ring without paying them, at which point they switched. Oh, and kindly offered to sell owners the parts to fix their old headsets, for £25, because if you rip people off for a second time it cancels out the first.

I'm lucky, the scoring on my forks isn't bad enough to cause a problem, it was caught in time and the headset replaced with an £20 Cane Creek which works better.

how long ago was this?

never heard of it before, i've got 2012 CK headset fitted (hope and most other were out of 1.5 lowers at the time), should i be checking the steerer?
  • njee20
    By 2012 it should be the new arrangement - check it though. If the bearing cover just has an o-ring in it, then it's the older style. Never saw a problem except on longer travel forks though, and even then never saw any catastrophic fails, but I'd change to the newer split-ring if I were you.