Shimano DA 7850 C24 vs Mavic Ksyrium SLS

powenb
powenb Posts: 296
edited November 2013 in Road general
Hi all

I have a pair of Shimano Dura Ace 7850 1380 C24 wheels, aswel as a pair of Mavic Ksyrium SLS.
I need one pair as a climbing wheel for occasional trips to the Alps, and the other pair are for my 14 year old sons summer bike.

Which would you use for which?

Thanks

Comments

• declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    The C24s are roughly 100g heavier than the Ksyriums, but probably offer better ride quality. Only you can decide which ones you like best on the hills.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • powenb
    powenb Posts: 296
    Thanks, I thought the C24's were lighter than the Ksyriums?
    I did wonder if the ride on the Ksyriums might be too harsh for a young lad.
  • declan1
    powenb wrote:
    Thanks, I thought the C24's were lighter than the Ksyriums.
    I did wonder if the ride on the Ksyriums might be too harsh for a young lad.

Ksyriums (at least the high end versions) are renowned for their harsh ride quality whereas C24s are known for their smooth ride. Maybe there's your answer!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I did notice the extra firmness in the ride when I changed to the SLS wheelset from the stock Eastons on my SLR01.

However, the SLS are superb climbing wheels, really stiff and light and climb brilliantly. Also, the stiffness makes descending a joy, the steering is so precise compared to the Eastons. It is so much fun to lean the bike into hairpins with total confidence.

Save the SLS wheels for the mountains. The roads are better there anyway, so slight the extra harshness won't be noticed.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    I popped a rear spoke on my C24s (DA9000) a month ago in an otherwise normal Sunday ride. I've had no problems with Ksyriums and R-Sys in '000s of km. Sample of one, of course, but I'd be inclined to use the Ksyriums for you and give the C24s to your kid, assuming he's lighter and puts out less power than you, naturally.
  • declan1
    964Cup wrote:
    I popped a rear spoke on my C24s (DA9000) a month ago in an otherwise normal Sunday ride. I've had no problems with Ksyriums and R-Sys in '000s of km. Sample of one, of course, but I'd be inclined to use the Ksyriums for you and give the C24s to your kid, assuming he's lighter and puts out less power than you, naturally.

I think that was just bad luck - professionals use C24s a great deal for climbing stages, and they put out a lot more power than you (I assume).

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• 964Cup wrote:

different take on that post, dura ace wheels spokes are alot easier to come by than ksyriums so if you snapped a spoke while away it would be ,uch easier to fix c24s
  • robbo2011
    You can buy all of the spokes for Mavic wheels here

https://www.bike24.net/1.php?pgc=5062:5 ... 301;mid=21
  • robbo2011 wrote:
    You can buy all of the spokes for Mavic wheels here

https://www.bike24.net/1.php?pgc=5062:5 ... 301;mid=21

not much use when your in the middle of nowhere and one goes and the LBS doesn't stock them though is it, c24s can take a standard spoke
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    I bet you'll notice a pea under a mattress before you'll notice the difference in ride quality between 2 sets of wheels
    Disagree. First ride out today on my (new to me) Cosmic Carbones. Despite 25c Ultremo DDs, the ride was noticeably harsher than the C24s (on 24c Vittoria Paves).
  • robbo2011
    The repairability discussion is all a bit irrelevant as the OP already owns both sets of wheels. He just needs to know which ones to use for trips to the Alps and which ones to give to his son.
  • declan1
    964Cup wrote:
    I bet you'll notice a pea under a mattress before you'll notice the difference in ride quality between 2 sets of wheels
    Disagree. First ride out today on my (new to me) Cosmic Carbones. Despite 25c Ultremo DDs, the ride was noticeably harsher than the C24s (on 24c Vittoria Paves).

+1 - I instantly noticed a much harsher ride with my new wheelset.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    declan1 wrote:
    964Cup wrote:

+1 - I instantly noticed a much harsher ride with my new wheelset.

+3 absolute rubbish, can tell a difference straight away between loads of wheels, from a ride quality point of view the difference can be so obvious, but don't trust the reviews when choosing.