Ultegra or Dura-ace chain?

dwanes
dwanes Posts: 954
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
I already have an Ultegra chainset plus I will be getting an Ultegra rear mech and Ultegra cassette for Christmas presents.

I will also be asking for a chain, but I am not sure if to stick with Ultegra or go for a Dura-ace chain. I will then be fitting them after winter.

Will I notice any difference between the two chains? Is it worth paying the extra?

Comments

• Get a good KMC chain instead.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I'd go with a decent KMC chain as well - not sure if you're 10 or 11 speed Ultegra, but I am on 6700 and use the KMC X10-L with decent mileage.

I am sure Shimano chains are just fine - they just join with a pin and not a quick-link. A quick link is good for whipping the chain off and giving everything a proper clean.
  • +1 for KMC. Also, if you carry a link extractor and a spare 'missing' link when you're out on a ride, you'll always be able to get back home again if something goes wrong with your chain.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Dura Ace, worth the extra money. You could also go for KMC as they make Shimano chains...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    kmc as others have said
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Despite the fact they make them IME Shimano chains are not as good as KMC.

I have never had side plates fail on a KMC or a SRAM but I have on 2 Shimano (one was an Ultegra).

KMC or SRAM are where my money goes these days.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • KMC on my Ultegra set up all day long.
    Giant TCR Composite 3
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    smidsy wrote:
    Despite the fact they make them IME Shimano chains are not as good as KMC.

I have never had side plates fail on a KMC or a SRAM but I have on 2 Shimano (one was an Ultegra).

KMC or SRAM are where my money goes these days.

My experience is entirely the opposite, with KMCs breaking, Dura-Ace always been fine and have not had a fail. Now that Dura-Ace is pin based I'd just get the KMC Missing Link for it. Also, I believe the Dura-Ace chain gives better, quieter shifting, and the non open side plates mean less grime traps.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Tour-QTR who did a fairly in depth test of chains found the sweetspot was the Shimano CN-5701 (105).

Google it, it's the only consumer publication I know that provide actual tangible metrics with their testing.
  • dodgy
    To make it easier, here's the test http://www.tour-magazin.de/services/qtr ... 5.html#/44

Oh, and if you disagree with the findings, that's cool. Just be sure to let the guys at Tour-QTR know :)
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    The Dura-Ace {which does have open sides} seems to come out on top now, the 105 is a great chain too.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    antfly wrote:
    The Dura-Ace {which does have open sides} seems to come out on top now, the 105 is a great chain too.

Sorry, I meant it had a lot less in the way of open sides than the KMCs I have had, only the inner plates have cut outs, half as many really. Certainly less grime trapping overall.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    The difference between expensive and mid level can just be weight rather than quality.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    To make it easier, here's the test http://www.tour-magazin.de/services/qtr ... 5.html#/44

That's possibly the best cycling mag I've ever seen! Thanks for the link.

KMC for me, don't like the Shimano link pins. I've been saved by my chain tool from a walk home in the past.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • dodgy
    unixnerd wrote:

It's kind of an embarrassment to the mainstream UK magazines and web-sites, who will say stuff like "the frame feels stiff, the cranks are great" etc. :lol:

The good news is that Tour-QTR have recently started publishing in English again for their iPad app after an absence of a year or so.
  • dodgy wrote:
    unixnerd wrote:

It's kind of an embarrassment to the mainstream UK magazines and web-sites, who will say stuff like "the frame feels stiff, the cranks are great" etc. :lol:

The good news is that Tour-QTR have recently started publishing in English again for their iPad app after an absence of a year or so.

Very true. Most tests of wheels or frames or any bike bits are farcical; you can skim read them in about 10 seconds. They trot out the same old stuff that's mostly regurgitated from the manufacturer's website, then we're told stuff like "before long I was attacking the hills and flying along with no flex from these super aero wheels". WTF?! That tells me nothing!

Lets see some scientific testing that sifts through the BS, and tells it how it really is.
  • It's a fekin chain!!
    Giant TCR Composite 3
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    dodgy wrote:
    unixnerd wrote:

Very true. Most tests of wheels or frames or any bike bits are farcical; you can skim read them in about 10 seconds. They trot out the same old stuff that's mostly regurgitated from the manufacturer's website, then we're told stuff like "before long I was attacking the hills and flying along with no flex from these super aero wheels". WTF?! That tells me nothing!

Lets see some scientific testing that sifts through the BS, and tells it how it really is.

I subscribe to the printed magazine and when compare to Cycling Plus et al the techincal reviews in TOUR are far more objective and the magazine in general is far better. However, what always concerns me is the tyre tests which use Conti and Schwalbe facilities. Conti and Scwalbe always come out on top (usually Conti) and the rest of the brands seem to get unusually high (=bad) scores.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    unixnerd wrote:

KMC for me, don't like the Shimano link pins. I've been saved by my chain tool from a walk home in the past.

You can use quick links with Shimano chains - I do. I went with ultegra to match rest of chainset, no brainier as wiggle offer had it as same price as 105 chain and kmc equivalent
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem