Rear hub axle wobble

e0in
e0in Posts: 15
edited November 2013 in The workshop
My rear hubs axle has developed quite a lot of play. So much that it wobbles ridiculously when cycling and causes the wheel to drag against the seatstays.

I'm not sure what kind of cassette it is, so i can't remove it and take a closer look, here's a picture, can someone identify it?

8QApzrM.jpg?1

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    That looks like a standard freewheel, not a cassette. A good LBS will have the tool to remove it.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i would be getting the LBS to check the wheel build. tyres contacting the seat or chain stays is normally more that a bent axle.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Feel around all the spokes - there might be one that is broken.
    They usually (for me) break on the drive-side, so the freewheel needs to be removed to replace the spoke.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    If it's a hub with cup and cone bearings (eg shimano) then it could be that the one of the cones (the shaped nuts that hold the bearings in) has come loose. An internet search on 'service shimano hub' or similar will show you more detail plus what to do about it.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Freewheel hubs are much more prone to axle failure than freehub designs. You'll need to get hold of a couple of cone spanners to remove the cones, ball bearings and axle to check it.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • e0in
    e0in Posts: 15
    Thanks for all the help.

Borrowed a friends tool to remove the freewheel, then tightened it up with a cone wrench. Removed the wobble, but made it obvious that the axle was bent.

My brother is going to college next year, and my club is selling an old bike for dirt cheap, which is much better (newer spec, way lighter), so I'm going to buy that, buy a new wheel (which he'll pay for obv.) and pass the old bike on to him.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Last time one of the boys' MTB's had that much sideways play I found the axle had actually snapped when I took it apart. That was a freewheel / solid axle.