9 speed cassette on a 10 speed freehub body?

nath_english
nath_english Posts: 127
edited November 2013 in Workshop
My misses has a Specialized Dolce and was recently given a set of Shimano R500 wheels that she intends to use as her turbo wheelset/winter wheels.

The R500's already have a shimano 10 speed freehub body and a 10 speed Shimano 105 cassette on them, but her Dolce is set up with 9-speed tiagra.

Will I need to replace the freehub body on the R500's as well as the cassette, or can I simply get a spacer to run a 9-speed cassette on it? (and if so, would the spacer go on the freehub before, in between, or after the cassette has been mounted?)

many thanks in advance

Comments

• antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    If it's a normal Shimano R500 freehub then you should be taking a spacer off to use 9 speed, I would have thought..
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I would have thought you could keep the freehub and just put a spacer on before you mount the cassette.
  • Spacer on or spacer off?!!
  • antfly
    You use a spacer with 10 speed not 9 speed. There should be one on so take it off.
  • I see. So the 10speed 105 cassette will be a little narrower than the 9 speed tiara cassette.
    Cheers.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    If you have an 8/9/10 speed freehub then you simply fit the 9 speed cassette - no spacer.

If you have a 10 speed freehub then your naffed.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Ah.

No idea as given the wheel set by someone who wouldn't know why was on there.

Will it say on the free hub when I remove the cassette?
  • antfly
    The r500 isn't 10 speed, just take the spacer off and put the 9 speed cassette on, if the spacer is there as it should be for 10 speed.