Back on the Bike After a Year Off...

alistaird
alistaird Posts: 290
edited July 2016 in Road beginners
All,

First time back on the bike for over a year. Lost 1/2 a kidney through a very rare problem which caused a blockage in the blood flow to the kidney... Got the all clear from the consultant last week where they could find no underlying causes so back to a normal life! Off the Warfarin so much lower risk if I crash :twisted:

Went out for about 1.5 hours at a nice easy pace with only a few gently hills and really enjoyed it. I'm sure I'll feel it tomorrow in the normal places but at least I'm back in the saddle. Shame the winter is drawing in and I'll have to sort the turbo out but really looking forward onto the roads in the Spring and on the nice days over the winter.

Will be contributing here again as well...

A
Alistair

Best Weather Bike - Time ZXRS
Summer Road Bike - Pinarello FPX Dogma
Winter Road Bike- Colnago E1
Being Dismantled - Sintesi Blade
Mountain Bike - Sold them all....

Comments

• meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Welcome back, don't overdo it!
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • dai_t75
    dai_t75 Posts: 189
    Sorry to hear about your illness - glad you have got the all clear now though!

What sort of level were you at before you had to stop?

I think I have only been out twice since the end of August myself :oops: so I also need to 'get back into it'. Are you planning on any night riding or turbo only? I like the idea of night riding, but I don't know how realistic it is to think that when I get home from work I will want to go out into the cold/dark nights!
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    I had a 4 year gap from the sport due to illness. I found when i got back on the bike i expected to be just as good as i used to be. Doing 100 mile road rides and hitting black rated MTB trails

almost killed myself lol
    take care
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Welcome back... Hope you quickly get back to fitness
  • dai_t75 wrote:
    Sorry to hear about your illness - glad you have got the all clear now though!

What sort of level were you at before you had to stop?

I think I have only been out twice since the end of August myself :oops: so I also need to 'get back into it'. Are you planning on any night riding or turbo only? I like the idea of night riding, but I don't know how realistic it is to think that when I get home from work I will want to go out into the cold/dark nights!

I was only an occasional club run rider, mainly riding solo and the odd Sportive for charity. Really enjoy it but mainly do it for fitness and fun... When I'm approaching a Sportive used to do around 150 miles a week and an ok pace.

I find early mornings easier than late nights so dark riding sometimes but find it much easier than trying after a long day's work.

Turbo sessions are evenings though...

Good luck yourself in getting back into it...

A
    Alistair

• elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Glad to hear you are well again.Take it easy and enjoy the sport.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Thanks for the thoughts all. Too windy for me to get outside at the moment, so guess it's on to the turbo later today ....

A
    Alistair

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Turbos are great things to have particularly when the weather is as rubbish as it's been lately. Build up fitness slowly and carefully.
  • Haven't really been able to face the Turbo yet, but nice weather today so did 20 miles and a nice easy pace. Heart and lungs were fine, legs found it a bit harder, @rse will be sore tomorrow I bet....

A
    Alistair

• alistaird
    Only the third ride this summer. Really struggling to get back into it, mentally not physically thankfully.

Watching the TdF has helped inspire me back on board so going to try again for an early start and 20 miles tomorrow. I'm sure once I'm back into it regularly it will be so much easier :idea:

A
    Alistair

• alistaird
    Managed another early start and 20 miles... Much harder than Tuesday but the 2nd time out is always the worst IMHO. Really glad to be getting back into a rhythm though...
    Alistair

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    Keep going mate, it'll "click" soon.
  • alistaird
    Gethinceri wrote:
    Keep going mate, it'll "click" soon.

Thanks, I'm sure it will....

A
    Alistair

• alistaird
    Probably the last post on here... Managed an early morning ride every other day for the past couple of weeks. Did 25+ miles this morning and felt pretty good. Doesn't feel like any ill effects of losing 1/2 a kidney last year so that's great.

Thanks all for your support.

A
    Alistair

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Off a year and now you're back. Good man. Easy as riding a bike. :wink:
  • alistaird
    So this summer has proved to be more successful than last summer. Back up to 30 miles before breakfast 3 or 4 times a week. Weight is gradually starting to reduce and I'm feeling better all around. Finally feel like I could do a sportive of similar later on this year. Thanks for all your support.
    Alistair