Tyre pressure - feels low but gauge says it's right

ntotheatothet
ntotheatothet Posts: 26
edited November 2013 in Workshop
I've got a good pump with a gauge that tells me I've got 100psi (or thereabouts) in my tyres - all well and good and exactly what I want. However, I can quite easily squeeze the tyres and they don't feel hard at all when out riding - they feel like they're underpressured... so my question is, should I be able to squeeze my tyres at that level of pressure? And should they feel soft(ish) when out riding...?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    No. Sounds like your gauge is duff. I only inflate my 25mm tyres to 70 / 80 psi and I can't easily squash them.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Duff gauge IMO as said above.
  • Agreed with above, at 100psi my tyres feel 'hard' you can push them but only maybe half a mm.
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    edited November 2013
    Lets not jump the gun, how buff are your fingers
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Go buy some tubes or a gel at your LBS and politely ask to borrow their pump if you want a comparison. Sounds like yours is off.
  • Thanks for the replies everyone - it's weird because I've used the pump on my CX bike, and my wife's road bike and the pressure seems exactly right - rock solid - it's just on my Felt that it doesn't seem to be right...
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Get a separate digital tyre gauge and use it to compare when in doubt. Digital gauges are generally more accurate for money spent and more durable in case of being dropped/abused. Pump gauges can go off at any time or be extremely accurate for decades so it's best to have a backup gauge to compare yours with every so often.