Newbie question about Halfords prices

locksmith
locksmith Posts: 12
edited December 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi all Newbie alert!

Been thinking about upgrading from my Marin hybrid and getting a proper mountain bike for a bit more off roading.
For a couple of weeks I've been scouring the net reading lots of info and looking at lots of bikes and popped into Halfords a couple of times for a browse.

I'm getting really lost on what wheel size, 29er/650b/26, you hear so many different views. I'm leaning toward the 29er I think as most sources are starting to say this will be standard and also I'm used to the 700c wheels on my hybrid.

I've seen Halfords have 10% off all bikes this weekend and have again been looking at their website.
Now I'm pretty sure the Voodo Hoodo was £449 and now it's £499 ready for the 10% off. (My son is looking as well and the voodoo is one he had mentioned).
I'm not totally sure about the price hike as I haven't written anything down, but is this a known Halfords ploy?

As I'm leaning toward a 29er, the Boardman team 29er is £850 this week less 10%. Is that the normal price or is it inflated as well?

I've also read about joining the British Cycling club to get a further 10% off at Halfords, do you get discount off discounted prices?

Comments

• ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Can't tell with the Boardman pricing as Halfords are the only place that stocks them, there's no comparison
    However the Boardmans are good value anyway and so is the Voodoo.. I think one got a 5 star review on here a while back for being an excellent beginners bike

I also wouldn't get hung up on wheel size, they'll all do the job so I wouldn't worry about that
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Voodoo was £449 earlier in the week, online anyway, so sounds like a regular Halfords sale. Sneaky.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I specifically noticed in the TV advert it says "higher prices charged in 55 stores" or something to that effect - ie it's probably their least popular stores that had the bikes at a high price, but they can now legitimately claim they're discounted.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Halfords play the pricing game alot. Alot of the bikes are 40% overpriced then drop a bunch every now and again to their 'true' price. Not boardmans though - as a rule they are the right price all the time, so a discount there is a real one.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    locksmith wrote:
    I've also read about joining the British Cycling club to get a further 10% off at Halfords, do you get discount off discounted prices?

Yes, it's well worth joining BC just to get the 10% discount, I normally buy cleaning bits or tools, though this weekend I'll grab some tyres for my commuter build and with all the % discounts they will be cheaper than buying online.

Also the 10% BC discount is for anything in Halfords not just cycling gear.
  • Thanks for confirming the price, I though I was going mad!!

So if I can get two lots of 10% off a boardman I'm doing ok?

I'm thinking between Team 29er, team 650B and Comp 650B.
    Still don't know what wheel size to go with.

My Son picked up a Voodoo Aizan 29er on his rounds this morning so at least I can try that for size.
  • weeve
    weeve Posts: 393
    29er unless your 5'6" or under
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I wouldn't worry too much about the wheel size just choose a bike you like riding and like the look of. I have a 29er and it really suits me. My wife riding the same XC route has a 26er as she prefers the smaller wheels.
  • WindyG wrote:
    Yes, it's well worth joining BC just to get the 10% discount, I normally buy cleaning bits or tools, though this weekend I'll grab some tyres for my commuter build and with all the % discounts they will be cheaper than buying online.

Yep if you're spending more than £280 on cycling stuff at Halfords it pays for itself.
  • WindyG
    WindyG wrote:

Yep if you're spending more than £280 on cycling stuff at Halfords it pays for itself.

But the discount is for anything instore not just cycling stuff, but anyway it's not the only benefit of a BC membership.
  • WindyG wrote:
    But the discount is for anything instore not just cycling stuff, but anyway it's not the only benefit of a BC membership.

Checks... Ooh you're right "Members of British Cycling can save 10% off everything at Halfords (excluding gift vouchers) to spend on any products in store, including sale items."

Edit: Specifically says on the voucher, cycling and non-cycling. Doesn't include servicing and fitting. Can't be used online, you have to have your British Cycling membership card as well as the printed voucher.
  • Curleyboy
    Curleyboy Posts: 27
    edited November 2013
    WindyG wrote:

Edit: Specifically says on the voucher, cycling and non-cycling. Doesn't include servicing and fitting. Can't be used online, you have to have your British Cycling membership card as well as the printed voucher.

Got my Boardman Pro Hardtail 29er last night by just showing my membership number that come in the confirmation email from British Cycling. I only joined 30 mins beforehand and took the printed voucher in as well. Got an £999 bike for £809! about 20% off. Result.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    weeve wrote:

Daft post of the day award winner. :lol:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    weeve wrote:

Daft post of the day award winner. :lol:
    Seconded
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Went for a Voodoo Bizango (see other thread) and yes double discount!!
  • Hi, Trying to figure this out can any one confirm that I can use the british cycle discount and pay with gift vouchers?
  • WindyG
    caleyjaggy wrote:
    Hi, Trying to figure this out can any one confirm that I can use the british cycle discount and pay with gift vouchers?

Yes, the gift vouchers are as good as cash so just print of the BC discount voucher give them that and get the 10% off which is additional to any instore discount offers.