I need a computer - laptop, surface, mac, what?

mpatts
mpatts Posts: 1,010
edited November 2013 in The cake stop
I haven't bought a computer since (I think) a 486 I bought in 1996. I understand things have changed a little since then.

Anyway, I want something that can run my side projects - in other words it needs excel to work very well, and be compatible with the standard windows jazz.

I'm open to ideas. No real budget.

Any tips?

If it helps, I prefer SRAM to Shimano, and although I like the thought of a campag groupset, I'd worry that it would always be breaking.
Insert bike here:

Comments

• Change to mac. Desktop, or MacBook if you need portability. You will never regret no having to deal with windows ever again.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    The Surface Pro's look very very good if you could handle the tablet aspect of it.

Other wise you re looking at a laptop for portability (to be honest I still think these are best for doing proper work on tbh)

I'm thinking of getting one of the newerfangeld mini desktop things myself, not the really small ones, but the ones the size of a big milk bottle sort of size.

You don't need to be afraid of Windows 8.1 by the way.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Like bikes it depends on what you want to do with it, do you want to commute slowly in a stop start sort of way swearing a lot or do you want a mac :D:wink:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Do you want something incredibly overpriced that isn't compatible with much? Buy a Mac :-)
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • mpatts
    mudsucker wrote:
    Do you want something incredibly overpriced that isn't compatible with much? Buy a Mac :-)

The compatibility issue is what really worries me, but as I say my apple knowledge extends to my iphone.

However, not sure it's a genuine worry....
    Insert bike here:
  • mpatts wrote:
    I haven't bought a computer since (I think) a 486 I bought in 1996. I understand things have changed a little since then.

Anyway, I want something that can run my side projects - in other words it needs excel to work very well, and be compatible with the standard windows jazz.

I'm open to ideas. No real budget.

Any tips?

If it helps, I prefer SRAM to Shimano, and although I like the thought of a campag groupset, I'd worry that it would always be breaking.

Despite your SRAM preference you just need a PC. Most of those for sale in PC World for around £500 will suit you just fine. All this Surface, iPad, Mac etc stuff is all very well, but if you just need something that's going to run Excel then your 'standard' PC is what you need.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    If you have money to spend and you use a computer a lot then you cant go wrong with a Mac, they last for ages and given the growth in Mac ownership then there is loads of software available for them - however you will pay through the nose for them.

If you are on a budget and cannot justify spending over a grand for a Mac then as ddraver said Windows 8.1 is not to be feared and once you get use to it is very intuitive however:

1- Do not get a Surface (or anything with Windows 8RT or 8.1RT) as you cant download legacy software - everything has to be bought through Microsofts App Store.

2 - Get a touchscreen laptop, Windows 8.1 was designed for touch and works really well (you can still use mouse/trackpad - but you wont once you are used to it). I picked up a little Asus notebook for £299 - and bigger more powerful ones can be had for 500/600.
  • ddraver
    The Surface Pros can handle legacy software though...

They look cool but Ive never used one in anger so i can't comment. I just fancy one a bit...
    - @ddraver
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Tinkering/upgrading - Windows laptop.

Simple switch on and use - Macbook.

The Macbook is more expensive but comes with a load of software included and IMHO much more enjoyable to use. If you can comfortably afford it then the extra expense will soon be forgotten. I have MS Office on mine.

If you are on a budget then a Windows laptop is a no-brainer.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • mpatts
    daviesee wrote:
    Tinkering/upgrading - Windows laptop.

Simple switch on and use - Macbook.

The Macbook is more expensive but comes with a load of software included and IMHO much more enjoyable to use. If you can comfortably afford it then the extra expense will soon be forgotten. I have MS Office on mine.

If you are on a budget then a Windows laptop is a no-brainer.

I am the money put aside - budget is immaterial , it need to work really well.

I think I might go get a mac.
    Insert bike here:
  • ddraver
    funny how my experience of macs different from everyone else's...could it be that I'm just honest about it?
    - @ddraver
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,128
    for work i use mac and pc, home just mac

there is no compatibility problem with a mac, unless you define compatibility in terms of a different platform, in which case it makes as much sense to says windows is incompatible

in the world of standards based computing, not proprietary cack, there's little if any dfference in compatibility between the two, it's mainly a matter of which you find easier as a user

you say excel is important, going between office 2010 and ms office for mac 2011 is no issue, i do it a huge amount, including some very complex sheets with lots of vba code - the only quibble is that if you use vba to access files it needs some care to accomodate the differences in generating pathnames that will work as needed on both platforms

ms does keep the windows and mac versions of office out of sync, so whichever is newer may cause some glitches in the other with new features, but saving for a prior version is the simple way out

if money is not an issue, i'd get a mac, i got my first (a ti powerbook) in 2001, it still works, as do the string of powerbooks and macbook pros i've had since them, and macbooks and airs i've given as gifts over the years, only had two develop faults, one fixed under warranty, the other after 10 years and a spare part was still to be had on ebay

my big mbp gets lugged around on business trips as i loathe the cheapo company dell, just leave it on my desk and take my own when i travel, if there's something that only runs on windows i've got vmware and just run a cloned windows machine in that, but for work i've never needed it (and i work for a windows-only multinational, they make zero efort to accomodate anything else)

go to a couple of stores, try to get some unbiased hands-on time, choose which you prefer, windows or osx both have their good and bad features, whether mac or pc, look for build quality, if it feels like junk it probably is

whatever you get, get a back drive and use it, you can never have too many backups
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    new pcs (& macs) not worth the cash when you can get something very reasonable off the 'bay. You didn't say whether you wanted a desktop or a laptop; if you're happy with a desktop then you can probably get a dual core box for less than £50. Stick Ubuntu on it for free and you're £1000 better off than if you'd bought a brand new mac.

TBH only if you're gaming or image processing do you need a monster PC. The 2nd hand boxes were top spec. 5 years ago and the tasks we're throwing at them haven't really got any tougher, IME of course.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    ddraver wrote:
    funny how my experience of macs different from everyone else's...could it be that I'm just honest about it?
    Honestly....
    I use both and prefer Mac.
    Others see it differently and thats okay. People are allowed to have different experiences and therefore views.
    I have stated mine, you have stated yours. The OP makes his/her own choice.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    craker wrote:
    new pcs (& macs) not worth the cash when you can get something very reasonable off the 'bay. You didn't say whether you wanted a desktop or a laptop; if you're happy with a desktop then you can probably get a dual core box for less than £50. Stick Ubuntu on it for free and you're £1000 better off than if you'd bought a brand new mac.

TBH only if you're gaming or image processing do you need a monster PC. The 2nd hand boxes were top spec. 5 years ago and the tasks we're throwing at them haven't really got any tougher, IME of course.

As a student I find it hilarious seeing everyone with their Macbook Pro that they only use for web-browsing and word processing.

They don't understand when I explain to them why its called the Macbook Pro.
  • I was on a Mac for 2 years. For any non-graphic design work Windows trumps Mac. After about 6 months of working with the Mac and having to convert everything I sent out by email to windows compatible file formats I sold the thing and bought a Samsung 13" laptop with touchscreen. It is a very good little machine for £600, and I am very happy I got rid of the mac.
  • Cryki
    Cryki Posts: 19
    Mac.... thats a no brainer
  • If all you want to do is use Excel and browse the internet, then a £300 laptop is all you need. Neither of those things will use much processing power. Anything else is an extravengance unless you use it to do something that needs lots of processor power. If you want to spend more, buy extra memory.
    Macs are fine, but 90% of people dont need one, or in fact actually use any of their benefits.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    edited November 2013
    If all you want to do is use Excel and browse the internet, then a £300 laptop is all you need. Neither of those things will use much processing power.

I beg to differ, depends on what you do with Excel. It is a truly awesome program with amazing scope for processing.

But point taken that you don't need masses of raw power for low intensity tasks.
  • Yippee! Another Mac vs pc thread.

*bang* … *thud*
    tick - tick - tick
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    metronome wrote:
    Yippee! Another Mac vs pc thread.

*bang* … *thud*
    I wonder if computer forums have Shimano vs Campag threads?
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    They're discussing lube on mumsnet... :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • sev112
    sev112 Posts: 99
    We have a 5 yr old Toshiba laptop
    It is 90% full up with win.sys files
    So is extremely slow to do anything at all
    We keep it because something's need a USB interface (garmin, cameras) and to copy our occasional CDs onto so that they can go onto MP3 players, IPod, iPad ect
    we both have iPads

Can I completely wipe the laptop to get rid of the win.sys files and start again ? Or do the bloody things never ever go away ?
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    sev112 wrote:
    We have a 5 yr old Toshiba laptop
    It is 90% full up with win.sys files
    So is extremely slow to do anything at all
    We keep it because something's need a USB interface (garmin, cameras) and to copy our occasional CDs onto so that they can go onto MP3 players, IPod, iPad ect
    we both have iPads

Can I completely wipe the laptop to get rid of the win.sys files and start again ? Or do the bloody things never ever go away ?

Backup your files, destroy the c drive partition and reload the OS from scratch, that's the easiest way to get all the performance back. If you are running anything previous to Win7 then upgrade, and Win8 tends to run a little bit quicker than Win7 too (not much in it though for most people). If you can't stand the tiled interface on Win8, get Start8 from Stardock for a few quid (5? can't remember) and your Win8 can load in desktop mode and look and work just like most other versions of Windows you have been familiar with. (I've forgotten my machines have the tiled metro interface as I just never see it, and don't bloody want to either, got work to do! :) ).
  • mpatts
    morstar wrote:
    If all you want to do is use Excel and browse the internet, then a £300 laptop is all you need. Neither of those things will use much processing power.

I beg to differ, depends on what you do with Excel. It is a truly awesome program with amazing scope for processing.

But point taken that you don't need masses of raw power for low intensity tasks.

It won't be low intensity.

I'm going mac - thanks for all the useful replies!
    Insert bike here: