Winter road lube????

Jcjblackwood
Jcjblackwood Posts: 24
edited November 2013 in Workshop
Just de greased chain etc., and was just wondering whats best type of lube for winter. I've heard of wet, dry and teflon but dont know which to go for. Any advice from experienced roadies much appreciated!!!!!

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Wet is designed to use in the wet, dry is designed to use in the dry.

You can use dry in the wet but it does not last very long.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • neal1984
    neal1984 Posts: 240
    Rock N Roll Extreme is a excellent product for all year round use IMHO

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • mustol
    mustol Posts: 134
    I use a dry wax lube (White Lightning) all year round. If it's a wet ride, just wipe the chain afterwards, let it dry and re-apply - nice clean chain. Wet lubes just attract too much grit etc for my liking.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Like Smidsy said Wet Lube for use in the wet, dry lube for the dry.

No need for degreasing. I use GT85 and a rag to clean the chain fortnightly and it comes up nice and shiny as well as protecting the chain from rust. Apply it by rotating the crank and spray the chain from one position, the do likewise with a rag.

I then apply one small drop of Finish line Wet Lube on each link, leave 5 mins, then wipe over with a rag.

After a year my chain still looks like new out of the box.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    mustol wrote:
    I can not be bothered with the appropriate and neccesary maintenance regime so find wet lubes just attract too much grit etc for my liking.

FTFY :mrgreen:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • getprg
    getprg Posts: 245
    Finish Line "wet" in aerosol for me - previous tin lasted 3 winters of commuting. The foam generator (and WD40 style plastic extension tube) makes for accurate application with no drips. The oil seems to resist water and adheres better and for longer than others I've tried.

Chain and "economy" Tiagra drivetrain of my Winter bike comes up super shiny with no rust when cleaned - even after riding salt laden roads of urban and moorland West Yorkshire.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Through trial and error (lots of both) I've ended up with the same chain maintenance routine year round. When the chain starts to look a little bit mucky I give it a thorough wipe with a cloth impregnated with a bit of WD40. Then I apply a drop of oil to each pin and spin the cranks to work it in, then wipe off the excess with a second, dry cloth.

In the winter I seem to have to do this every 7-10 days; in the summer every 3-4 weeks is enough.

In terms of lube I use simple 3-in-1 oil. Big bottle for a pound in Wilkinsons years ago. Thin enough to penetrate the chain internals and doesn't attract too much dirt if used sparingly.
  • I used to use White Lightning (mostly the dry one in summer, wet in winter), but recently switched to the Finish Line Ceramic. So far, very pleased and I think it will work well for the winter.

In winter I clean the chain once a week with a citrus degreaser and chain cleaning machine thingy and reapply lube, at the same time as cleaning the bike.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Finish Line Cross Country, good stuff, year upon year ...
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Finish Line XC all the time - wipe down the chain with rag soaked inWD40 to get rid of the muck and reapply. Give the chain a thorough dunking in solvent 2/3 times a year. If you want a chain squeakier than a bag of mice, use dry lube - it's hopeless and you need to reapply every ride.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I also use Finish Line XC Wet but only in winter. I use a dry Teflon type lubricant in summer. However, I clean my chain after virtually every ride. I can't stand sqeaks.