Mechanic training

timcheshire
timcheshire Posts: 7
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi, I am interested in doing a mechanics course, for home use, but would like advice as to what course people think is the best one? I am aware of cytech but would like some further advice. Thanks

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    For home use, just have a go yourself using the information available from the internet.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Cytech level 1 is two days and is very basic. Really it is down to practice. Getting a stand is essential a good one as well that holds your in a stable way. Then have a small number of good tools. Good allen keys, a small selection of screw drivers, a bench vice if you use cup and cone hubs, cone spanners, cassette too and a BB tool. Then just practice. Everything is on show on a bike so it pretty simple really.

I was showing someone last night on the free maintenance evening I run how to take care of there hubs. It took him minutes and he had a go at putting back together after I pulled the axle out. It set the cone and lock nut perfectly first time.

Buy a stand and a few tools get together with a couple of bike friends and put you heads together. It is not hard.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    A good place to start might be Park Tool's Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair (3rd) edition and Zinn & The Art of Bicycle Maintenance (Lennard Zinn).
  • Checks out your local college's night classes. One near me runs a course over 10 evenings that covers most things you would want to know.