Dilema...

2»

Comments

• Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Having listed the weights above I suspect that manufacturer's quoted weights shouldn't be taken as gospel.

At best they should be taken as works of fiction, some are downright lies, lol.
  • Kowalski675
    Had another sit and bounce on the 650 Pro FS today. The suspension really does feel significantly more plush than on my Team FS, and the 4 pot brakes feel great.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    From the Reserve and Collect thingy on their website it looks as if they have one in at my local branch so I'm going to go take a look either tomorrow or Friday.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Kowalski675
    Bikehut manager today told me that there's gonna be another 10% off promo early in December, so don't flash the cash just yet, if you do decide to go for it. I was wondering if I could distract him long enough to swap the shock for mine, lol... :wink:
  • Angus Young
    I figured they'd have one in the run up to Christmas. The last two were only about 3 weeks apart so it would be odd if they didn't pop another offer in during the prime buying period. And I'm still waiting for my client to pay his bill so I'm safe for the next few days, I can look without fear of doing something rash!
  • Neither,get on pauls cycles and have a look at the giant bikes
  • Angus Young
    chrisrobs wrote:
    Neither,get on pauls cycles and have a look at the giant bikes

I did look at the Trance X3 but it sort of fell off the radar. The good thing that all this proves is that there's plenty of choice available even at this lowly price point. We are spoilt!
  • Kowalski675
    chrisrobs wrote:
    I did look at the Trance X3 but it sort of fell off the radar.

Great frame and nice paintjob, but poorly specced, with a shite fork.
  • Id go with a canyon and sped a little extra. My brother had a boardman, the rear end twisted so much in a corner that the tyres rubbed on the seat stays.

https://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbike ... tml?b=3281
  • Kowalski675
    chrisrobs wrote:
    Id go with a canyon and sped a little extra. My brother had a boardman, the rear end twisted so much in a corner that the tyres rubbed on the seat stays.

Great if you want to wait 5 months for delivery. Not much use if you want to ride now.
  • Angus Young
    chrisrobs wrote:
    Id go with a canyon and sped a little extra. My brother had a boardman, the rear end twisted so much in a corner that the tyres rubbed on the seat stays.

Great if you want to wait 5 months for delivery. Not much use if you want to ride now.

Exactly. Though I will certainly be looking at Canyon when it comes to the big upgrade next year. Some of their bikes further up the price range are very lusty.
  • Kowalski675
    I like the look of the Spectral 650b.
  • Angus Young
    Candy apple red... you must be a man of a certain age! Very yummy.

To be honest though, I'm not sure I understand what's what when it comes to some of their ranges. Seems to be some overlap when it comes to what they're for. Mind you, I'm new at this so I might just be ignorant!
  • Kowalski675
    Candy apple red... you must be a man of a certain age! Very yummy.

Yeah, the red looks great, especially with the black Pikes on the EX model. It'll probably be a f**ker for scratches though. The raw finish with blue graphics looks great too. I love a nice deep candy colour, I built this for an ex gf with a lush deep candy red over metallic silver:

DSC_1155copy_zpsa20fa459.jpg
    Seems to be some overlap when it comes to what they're for. Mind you, I'm new at this so I might just be ignorant!

Yeah, but I guess that gives you more choice (although sometimes too much choice is just confusing, lol). For the trails I'm currently riding, i reckon the Spectral 650b would be my pick from their range, but I'm a newbie too.
  • Angus Young
    There's so much in the Canyon catalogue that might be contenders for the big upgrade next year. Mind you, this has really caught my eye...

http://www.lapierre-bikes.co.uk/mtb-all ... sty-am-427
  • Kowalski675
    There's so much in the Canyon catalogue that might be contenders for the big upgrade next year. Mind you, this has really caught my eye...

http://www.lapierre-bikes.co.uk/mtb-all ... sty-am-427

I briefly tested a Zesty 314 in summer and it felt great (apart from poor brakes), but I don't think I'd buy a Lapierre. I've just heard too many stories of cracked frames and poor, disinterested service from the importer when it comes to warranty claims. I'm sure it's only a very small percentage of their bikes, but it does seem to be more common than with other marques. I definitely wouldn't buy one with the electronic suspension.

I'm still very much liking the look of the new £1500 Titus El Guapo, despite the basic X5 gearing.
  • Angus Young
    Yeah, but it's yellow and black! Lol!

Kind of hoping they've learnt their lesson on the frames (that's assuming there really was a lesson to learn...). As for the ei suspension, yes, that was my reaction when I first saw it. But every review says it works flawlessly and, apparently, they were power washing them down with gay abandon during the press jolly so presumably Lapierre think they're robust. Last thing they would want is for the electrics to fall over in front of the press so if they were fragile they would have broken out the kid gloves.
  • Kowalski675
    Yeah, but it's yellow and black! Lol!

I'm not really into yellow and black, apart from my old TDR 250, lol.
    As for the ei suspension, yes, that was my reaction when I first saw it. But every review says it works flawlessly and, apparently, they were power washing them down with gay abandon during the press jolly so presumably Lapierre think they're robust. Last thing they would want is for the electrics to fall over in front of the press so if they were fragile they would have broken out the kid gloves.

I just don't want it at all. It's completely pointless extra weight, complication and expense (that will cost you a fortune more when it breaks out of warranty - ask any of the many people who've had to pay for a BMW ABS module out of warranty, lol). It's the thin end of the wedge of pointless electronic shite that's ruined modern motorcycles. Don't need it, don't want it, certainly don't want to pay extra for it.

Did I mention that I don't like it? :lol:
  • Angus Young

I just don't want it at all. It's completely pointless extra weight, complication and expense (that will cost you a fortune more when it breaks out of warranty - ask any of the many people who've had to pay for a BMW ABS module out of warranty, lol). It's the thin end of the wedge of pointless electronic shite that's ruined modern motorcycles. Don't need it, don't want it, certainly don't want to pay extra for it.

Did I mention that I don't like it? :lol:

I don't see it as much different than a dropper post. What does a dropper do that you couldn't do with a quick release clamp? Not much for the extra weight, complication and expense. But just about everyone thinks they're worth the extra.
  • Kowalski675
    Dropper posts aren't electronic. If they brought one out that was triggered by a solenoid valve and raised by an electric motor I wouldn't want that either. Electronic suspension - bunch of arse.
  • Angus Young
    But the weight, extra expense and 'it'll break down' arguments all apply. The fact that it's electronic rather than hydraulic is neither here nor there.
  • Kowalski675
    It's completely different, lol. A dropper post is a simple mecahnical device. Electronics on a mountain bike is just a pointless, unnecessary way of adding complicated expense - it's ridiculous.
  • Angus Young
    Always having your shock in the right mode, faff free, seems like a pretty good idea to me.
  • Kowalski675
    Good quality, properly set up suspension should only need one "mode" (with a lockout/pro pedal for smooth fire road climbs).

I wouldn't want the electronic suspension at any price, and certainly wouldn't pay a premium for it. It's a bicycle ffs, it's meant to be simple. It's shite like that which has ruined new motorcycles in the last few years. Big thumbs down from here.