Anyone attempted repairing an Ultrashift Lever

LegendLust
LegendLust Posts: 1,022
edited November 2013 in Workshop
Has anyone attempted repairing and servicing an 11spd Ultra Shift lever? Is it something a competent home mechanic could have a go at? Are the spares easy to get hold of?

I've seen the Campag video tutorial, but some aspects are not fully clear. If anyone has done a repair, are there any pitfalls, problems I should be aware of? And are there any tools that are essential to use to make the job easier?

Comments

• I have fettled a bit with the 9 and 10 speed Erogs... never with an 11. The main problem is fitting the spring of the paddle shifter... that can take hours... it is a real watchmaker job.
    If it ain't broke, don't touch it, there is nothing you can do to to service it.
    If it is broken, then I suggest you contact the people at Velotech, who do these things day in and day out
    left the forum March 2023
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    I have fettled a bit with the 9 and 10 speed Erogs... never with an 11. The main problem is fitting the spring of the paddle shifter... that can take hours... it is a real watchmaker job.
    If it ain't broke, don't touch it, there is nothing you can do to to service it.
    If it is broken, then I suggest you contact the people at Velotech, who do these things day in and day out

It is broken, but is the Ergo from my best bike, so I thought I'd have a go at it through the winter months
  • LegendLust wrote:
    I have fettled a bit with the 9 and 10 speed Erogs... never with an 11. The main problem is fitting the spring of the paddle shifter... that can take hours... it is a real watchmaker job.

It is broken, but is the Ergo from my best bike, so I thought I'd have a go at it through the winter months

Try...
    left the forum March 2023
  • LegendLust wrote:
    Has anyone attempted repairing and servicing an 11spd Ultra Shift lever? Is it something a competent home mechanic could have a go at? Are the spares easy to get hold of?

I've seen the Campag video tutorial, but some aspects are not fully clear. If anyone has done a repair, are there any pitfalls, problems I should be aware of? And are there any tools that are essential to use to make the job easier?

Spares are kinda tough. 'Some' decent pro shops take now available shifters, and strip them for parts.

Not hard to take apart and put together....

What's wrong with the lever? What's broken. I have taken apart, OVH ERGO since 1991 and these, Ultrashift, they don't really have 'innards' that break, ala older, 2008 and older, ERGO..seen thumb buttons and shift levers break..but nothing internal.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Loads of preloaded springs and bitties to work with... If it were me I'd just send it to the people with the right tools & experience for the job (but thats because I tried it once and my shifter never worked again!).