Shimano brake levers

plugp7
plugp7 Posts: 298
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
Fitted a set of M596 brakes a few months ago and I can't get use to the ridiculously small levers blades. Was thinking of swapping the levers for a longer one but lbs say that there are non with longer levers in Shimano range that will match to the calipers.
Any suggestions for a suitable Shimano lever or is it a complete set change to a different brand?
Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    There are none AFAIK. You only need one finger.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    small brake levers are good.

Saying that I'm sure you could whack an older model Shimano lever on there, no?

The master cylinder cracked on my Magura MT2 so I now have an old style SLX lever/master cylinder working perfectly with a 2012 Magura MT4 calliper
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Stick with them. The new shimano brakes are the best on the market and are the levers are best used with just one finger it's all you need. If you don't one finger brake atm, try altering your set up and seeing if you find it more comfortable. I love the lever shape, by far and away the best on the market by a distance.

Then again I've just realised your location and being a northerner you're probably experiencing an allergic reaction to using something other than Hope brakes :wink:
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    lawman wrote:
    Stick with them. The new shimano brakes are the best on the market and are the levers are best used with just one finger it's all you need. If you don't one finger brake atm, try altering your set up and seeing if you find it more comfortable. I love the lever shape, by far and away the best on the market by a distance.

..but +1 to All Of This ^^^
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Try moving the brakes inwards a bit till your braking finger (Usually Index finger) sits naturaly without stretching into the hook of the lever.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    Guess this is a personal thing cos I've tried moving the levers every which way and I'm still not happy. They are not uncomfortable and yes they work very well. I guess I like my brake levers like I like my women, when I squeeze em I like a hand full. I'll stick with them a while longer and see if I can live with them.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130