Converting from Shimano to Campag

Wirral_paul
Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
edited October 2013 in Workshop
Hi

One for the wheel builders amongst you.

I am looking to swap out a Shimano/SRAM freehub for a Campag version on a pair of hand built wheels (courtesy of Paolo). The hub is a Novatec F172SB which just require a washer moving from one side to the other when fitting the new freehub. This will obviously affect the dishing slightly - but will the existing spokes be ok if I get the wheel redished??

Cheers guys n gals

Comments

• Yes,

you need a Novatec freehub type A. Also you need to place the silver washer, which at the moment sits on the NDS just behind the hub cap, on the DS. This way you don't need a redish.
    Thanks to the brilliant Novatec Uk distributor, at the moment getting a spare freehub is a bit of an issue, so if you are in a hurry, my advice is to get one from BDOP cycling, price is roughly the same. It will be here in 5-6 days.
    left the forum March 2023
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Hi Paolo

That's great - many thanks for the info. I was actually on their website last night looking at their instructions and so on - but wasn't aware that moving the washer meant that no re-dish was required. I kinda assumed that removing the washer would move the hub flanged towards the NDS by the washer thickness, and so I would need to redish by the same to put the rim back central.

I'll look to order that freehub from them shortly then - I have a month or so before my new frame arrives and decided to go for a Campag Athena black groupset as I would have needed a spare chainset, bottom bracket, braze on front mech, could do with a new chain / cassette etc if I moved the SRAM over from the bike I have on the turbo trainer. My summer bike runs Chorus already and so I have 2 sets of wheels for that.

Cheers
    Paul 8)