Chain splitter

paulbnix
paulbnix Posts: 631
edited November 2013 in Workshop
I have a small chain splitter that has worked fine on 8 speed chains, however it is failing to split the expensive SRAM 10 speed chain I currently have. The short arms on the splitter don't allow me to apply enough force.
The chain has the supplied SRAM connecter, which being 10 speed I believe is not reusable.
So my questions are:-
1. Is a small powerful chain splitter possible? I'd like it small so I can carry it with me after losing a chain many miles from home.
2. Are 10 speed reusable chain connectors available?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,440
    the splitters i've used on minitools will do it, crank brothers, lezyne, but they do take a lot of force as the pins are often riveted, exact alignment is essential

kmc do 10-speed reusable links, i just bin the sram link and fit a kmc one
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    First time I tried to split a 10 speed 105 chain I bent my Halfords chain tool handle like a banana. My Crank Bros multi-tool includes a chain tool, but I have no idea whether it would work out on the road.

I might ask Santa for a better workshop chain tool.

I have used the 10 speed KMC missing links for years on Shimano, SRAM, Mavic and KMC chains. I did invest in the link removal pliers for use in the garage; means I can whip the chain off in seconds.
  • to peak chain tool from halfords for £11 does the job
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Avoid cheap steel on these. In -5C weather I once had a chain tool split open leaving me with a very cold 8 mile walk home.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    To the OP. As mentioned, make sure you have the tool pin exactly aligned with the chain pin. The tool usually won't center itself over the chain pin if it's off even slightly and will just bend the sideplate without pushing the pin through. Most 10sp chains do require a good amount of force but you should still be able to push the pin through with a small tool provided the tool is strong enough.