Good value tights

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
Any recommendations for good value, good quality tights?
Im commuting 160 road miles a week in all weather plus a couple of good xc rides every week so they need to last

Comments

• If you can wait for the Aldi mtb gear to come roubd again then I would... great gear and proper cheap so you could buy a few sets.

Failing that, you could try m&s.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    If you can wait for the Aldi mtb gear to come roubd again then I would... great gear and proper cheap so you could buy a few sets.

Failing that, you could try m&s.

I got a pair of the Aldi ones recently - seem a bargain at £14. My local branch still has a few left, might be worth checking your local one.
  • Kowalski675
    The Coolmax pad in the Aldi ones is pretty much identical to those in my Endura 6 panel liner shorts.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Havent tried the tights from Cycle-clothing.co.uk, tights but the gear I have from them has been good quality
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    stubs wrote:
    Havent tried the tights from Cycle-clothing.co.uk, tights but the gear I have from them has been good quality
    Some nice bib tights on there, but as usual I'd need the M size inside leg combined with the XXL waist...
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    DHB
  • broona
    broona Posts: 414
    Thread in the roadies section, they look decent for twenty quid - viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12945237
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Decathlons bib tights are excellent, although I also have a couple of cheap pairs of karrimor leggings from sports direct that I use along with some Lycra shorts.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Endura, not the cheapest but last forever
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • Kowalski675
    I recently got a bargain pair of (non padded) Nevicas from Sports direct (about £12), that you could wear with your existing padded undershorts. Small opening at the ankle though, so may not fit if you have clown feet.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I've got a couple DHB ones can't remember the exact names but one is their budget range and the other is the mid range one.

Both are good value for the money but the pad is noticeably better in the mid range and little touches like zip quality and finishing is better and makes it feel much more premium.

A friend has the Decathlon tights and again they are good for the money but he says the pads are better if you spend more money.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I rate Lusso. UK company and well made - they seem to last well. I have the Max Repel ones which are a cold weather item but I've been glad of them on many ocassions.

Another option is to stick to undershorts & baggies & get some leg warmers. You can stow them & they add flexibility - can get thermal or regular.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Kowalski675
    passout wrote:
    Another option is to stick to undershorts & baggies & get some leg warmers. You can stow them & they add flexibility - can get thermal or regular.

Got some great ones from Aldi recently for £6.99. Fleece lined lycra with silicone grippers, ankle zips and reflective highlights, if you venture onto the roads.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,040
    Not sure how cheap they are but mt Endura Thermolites do the job well and have lasted for years.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    Barteos wrote:
    DHB

Pleased with my DHB's so far.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Decathlons bib tights are excellent, although I also have a couple of cheap pairs of karrimor leggings from sports direct that I use along with some Lycra shorts.

I have the regular karrimor shorts and they're awful, pad is useless and there falling apart...
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • I use Karrimor leggings as well, have done for a while. Just pop some undershorts on. But I like them as they can be used for mountain walking and diving so I appreciate the versatility.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I bought some of the Btwin one's last year, sport 7 I think very good. I've also god some lusso unpadded ones from around 1997, still going strong.

I had some giordana ones a bit ago, horrible.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    look out on ebay for some as i bought some funkier winter tights on there for 20 pound and they are very nice quality.

I will just wear them for riding to work, i have some attack x mtb trousers for weekend rides or when its really bad weather.
  • I got some from ProBikeKit. Fleece-lined, nicely padded and water repellent. Not waterproof as such, but the only bits of me that weren't soaked and cold after the Lake District Monster miles (110km in mostly rain) were my legs. So they did a great job.
  • I bought these a few weeks ago at £11.99, but seems that they've gone back up to full price now. May not be padded enough for what you're looking for:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/reinforced-t ... 81424.html

I also read somewhere that even the Muddyfox shorts and tights sold by Sports Direct are ok and v cheap!
    Tavish
    Noob
    It's my first MTB
    ROCKRIDER 8.1
  • Kowalski675
    McNab_79 wrote:
    I also read somewhere that even the Muddyfox shorts and tights sold by Sports Direct are ok and v cheap!

Problem with those is that they have a crappy foam pad that's neither use nor ornament. It'll be useless as a pad on its own, but make them too bilky to wear with proper padded shorts.