Tyres For Sand

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,553
edited October 2013 in Cyclocross
I'm hoping to ride the Pembrey 'cross that includes quite a lot of sand I believe although I've been told it is generally quite hard packed and fast. What sort of tyres are likely to be best? I can either use the file tread tyres that came with the bike or get some cheap mud tyres (which I am likely to need for another round I'm intending riding).

Comments

• They need to be wide and you need to be able to run them at 30 PSI or so
    left the forum March 2023
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    We go motorcycle racing at Pembrey (not on the sand) and if you are cycling from Cardiff that is quite a ride.

No help I know, but what did you expect from me :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • clement mxp or challenge grifo. best all round tire.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    File treads work best in sand, but as Ugo said, low pressures and width help more.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    Thanks. The tyre that came with the bike is a 38mm file tread so I'll give them a go. I'm not sure what percentage of the course is sand and whether there'll be much mud as well.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    edited October 2013
    It's not actually that sandy, Pross - most of the circuit is on grass anyway and any sand there is pretty hardpack. Whatever you are using as your regular cross tyres will be fine. No mud at Pembrey and it rarely gets too wet. The surface can get bumpy as a lot of the area that the CX circuit uses is used for horse trials...

Just don't fit a new chain before the race ;)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Surly Knard 29er x 3"? ;-) You may struggle to get them to fit a CX frame though...seriously, as said, go wide as you can fit at the lowest pressure you can run safely - unlike mud, narrower tyres just dig trenches in sand
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    clement mxp or challenge grifo. best all round tire.

Dude your name needs help. Is it spanish for fond de jante? Can we just call you Spoke Bed?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.