Cheap 12x135 DH rear wheel

Cycloslalomeur
Cycloslalomeur Posts: 349
edited November 2013 in MTB buying advice
Could anybody point me toward a bargain downhill wheel for a 12mm through axle please? It's for a cargo bike, so 36 spokes and thick ones at that please, and 135mm OLD. Both six-bolt and Centrelock are fine. I could always build one myself (probably around a Shimano Zee hub) but I'd rather not. Help is much appreciated.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    define cheap.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Less than 100 quid. Second-hand is all right too.
  • Oh, and has to be 559.
  • nicklouse
    then look on Ebay or the classifieds.

new can be got for about 130.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Superstar components DHX wheel is as cheap as it gets.
    Used DH wheels are generally pretty battered.
  • Thanks for your help. Superstar Components looked promising, but it seems they don't do 36-spoke wheels.

So it seems I'll have to bite the bullet and whip out the truing stand then. I'm going with an Alex Rims DM24 and plain-gauge 2.0mm spokes, but the hub remains a questionmark. The bike (Winther Wallaroo) has a Novatec through-axle hub up front, but I've had trouble finding Novatec hubs for the rear. Thoughts?
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    The Superstar (DHX) deal is £130 for the set - both wheels ready to roll.

If you do a custom build for just a rear wheel using the same rim, hub and spokes it will come to over a £100 just for the rear...be crazy not to get the set and just sell the front.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • At least judging by the photo, the spoke count on the DHX set is too low for my intended purpose and the spokes are butted. Also don't they come with a 142/150mm hub?

Here's my draft shopping list:

- Alex DM24 36-hole rim off US Ebay, £30 including postage

- Azonic Momentum 12/10x135 through axle with nuts off US Ebay, £16 including postage

- Zee 12x135mm 36h hub and 36 DT Swiss Champion 2.0mm spokes and nipples off Bike24 £51 including postage.
  • Obviously there's also the cost of the recreational drugs consumed during the wheel build job. :wink:
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I see you want to build it yourself..fair enough

Re. Superstar - you can select whichever hub and spokes that you want (from the options available)

DHX rim, Switch Evo rear hub, 12mm adapter, Double Butted SAPIM Race Spokes - £120

Trek Session 8
  • I most definitely don't want to build myself. I would buy the DHX set in a flash if it came with 36 (straight-gauge) spokes. All the rims and hubs listed are 32-hole.
  • nicklouse
    I most definitely don't want to build myself. I would buy the DHX set in a flash if it came with 36 (straight-gauge) spokes. All the rims and hubs listed are 32-hole.
    plain gauge are not stronger.

look at the Halos if you really want plain gauge.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Why do you want 36 spoke? The difference in strength over 32 spoke is insignificant.
    Even when I was 16.5 stone 32 spoke was strong enough. Not many dh wheels are 36 spoke.
    Plain gauge spokes aren't stronger than butted.
  • I was just going with what I'd seen fitted to cargo bikes.

The bike weighs about 38kg, with a recomended maximum load (excluding rider) of 80kg. It is used on Belgium's famously rubbish road network to boot.

Thanks for your input. It looks like I have to scuttle away and do more research. Perhaps I should email Hans Bullitt Fogh himself and ask him if people have been running 32-butted-spoke wheels. (The Wallaroo is a stretch version of the Bullitt).
  • 32 hole is no different in real world strength to 36 hole. The spokes wont break, its basically down to the rim strength. Our DHX is built like a brick outhouse so cargobiking on it will not be an issue. We reccomend our DH components upto 130kg rider weight so they are pretty tough

Regards, Neil (superstaR)
  • rockmonkeysc
    I regularly batter my way through rock gardens at race speed an that isn't enough to break a 32 hole DHX. They really are a solid wheel.
  • Cheers Neil and Rockmonkey. Neil, how much do you charge to post a wheelset to Belgium?
  • Cheers Neil and Rockmonkey. Neil, how much do you charge to post a wheelset to Belgium?

Presume it's the same as to France in which case it's a tenner. But they have a bit of a clunky way of doing it. You pay £2.50 on the website for 'small items airmail' (as this is the only option for overseas deliveries) then they will send you a Paypal request for the extra £7.50.

I've had two sets of wheels off them over the last year and half or so and they've both been spot on.

Trek Session 8