Braided brake hose suppliers

russyh
russyh Posts: 1,375
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
Anyone point me in the direction of a good supplier of braided hoses. I currently have a set of hope/Goodrich hoses on my m4 brakes, which are great but need replacing as they are starting to look a mess. Trouble is the Goodrich hoses seem to be not quite enough for both brakes. Which makes them an expensive option.anyone know if you can buy it off a real somewhere? Or are the superstar component 5 braid hoses any good at all for hope brakes?

Thanks in advance,

Russ

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Actually pointless, unless you want to pay for the bling.
    Make bugger all difference to braking.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Cooldad, some people are just suckers for bling.

Russyh, you can buy Goodridge hose by the metre. If it is already Goodridge hose fitted then you can just swap the fittings over and use this- http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/good ... p-prod2938
  • russyh
    Cheers revellrider, I am not sure why the hell I couldn't find that! Been looking for days and kept coming back to the prep acts which don't come with enough hose for both brakes on a proper bike!

Cheers for the advice cooldad, aware it does very little. But I am happy to pay for the bling, hence why I wasn't asking if people recommended it. We all have our little quirks and mine is spending money on my bike, and it looks like I'm not the only one!
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    cooldad wrote:

not quite true
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    POAH wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

not quite true
    Totally true. All hose is braided, generally with Kevlar, a mighty space age material. Goodrich et al just add weight and bling with metal on the outside. Bike brakes, unlike car and motorcycle brakes, don't work at high enough pressure to warrant it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Even if they did, pressure at one end of the hose equals pressure at the other or the fluid flows to even it out so it does.....would be of a very small benefit on a 'negative servo' lever.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    The Rookie wrote:
    Even if they did, pressure at one end of the hose equals pressure at the other or the fluid flows to even it out so it does.....would be of a very small benefit on a 'negative servo' lever.

Can't see them being of any advantage on a pushbike, but on motorcycles they're a definite improvement - more power, better feel, longer lasting and, all importantly, much better looking, lol.

DSC_7939_zps45b7b6eb.jpg
  • russyh
    [/quote]
    all importantly, much better looking, lol.
    [/quote]

Amen to that.
  • Just replaced mine with the Clarks stuff :D

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/clar ... -prod52703

Under £10 for front and back 8)