OCD Alert - Saddle Height

einriba
einriba Posts: 319
edited November 2013 in Road general
Ok, I am going nuts.

I'm booked in for a cycle fit so realistically I don't know why I'm fretting.

Inside leg of 84.5cm. Riding 172.5 cranks.

I've had my saddle at 72cm (bb to saddle). Gradually moved it to 73cm as it felt low (must have slipped a while ago and I've not noticed)....however, looking at the lemond method, 109% method and 25 degree method I should be at least 10mm higher!

I'm not a gear pusher, but not a spinner either..more spinner if I had to pick one.

flexibility wise I can touch my toes. ...just.

does it sound like I'm riding too low?

My knees are starting to ache as well, but i put that down to being an old b**t*rd

And yes i've done a search - but this is specifically about my height and an opinion on these methodologies proving their worth? I dunno.....lost hours sleeping tonight while I imagine 10mm differences in saddle height
Getting up is the second hardest thing in the morning

Comments

• Crazy idea, try it?

It won't make a difference to your knees, it's less than a 1.5% change.

I've never tried a mathematical method, I just make sure my toes can touch the floor! :D
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Just go and get your bike fit and ask the expert - rather than asking some keyboard warriors who don't really know!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Despite everything you read/are told it is not a science, more an art.

What works for one (formula etc) will not work for another. Use them as a starting point and adjust up/down to suit. This will only come from trial and error, but you need to give each position a good try as it sometimes takes time for your body to tell you.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • There can be very little in it, a few months ago I changed my pedals (M505 to M980) same SPD shoes. But started having pain in my left knee a week or so later. Eventually traced it to my pedals being a couple of mm lower than the old pedals, lowered my saddle by the same amount the problem went away.
  • einriba
    lol - thanks all....

I know the best is to wait for the fitting......but after 24 years of riding, I should really know where my saddle should be!

I "tested" the 74cm height this morning on the way in to work (it's only 1 mile ride). Didn't like it at all. I felt like I was a child riding a bike that was too big for me. However this could just be that my saddle has been so low it feels odd. My leg isn't straight when pedaling, but there's not much left before it is straight.

I like to tinker with these things!
  • Put it in between?
  • einriba
    lewiskinch wrote:
    Put it in between?

Yep, gonna do that on the way home - 73.5cm.....

My wife thinks I'm reaching new depths of geekness.....
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I make your inside leg measurement 33 inches. Mine's 31 and when I was fitted to my bike my saddle height was set to 72cm, and I've been using that measurement ever since (6 years). Based solely on that I'd say that 74cm was entirely feasible for you. I'd be interested to hear what your fitter ends up recommending though
  • einriba
    My appointment is the 7th November so i'll post here what he recommends
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    It all depends on the individual. I found the Lemond method put my seat way to low.
  • einriba
    styxd wrote:
    It all depends on the individual. I found the Lemond method put my seat way to low.

Wow! too low? I was 20mm below what the Lemond method came up with!
  • blinddrew
    blinddrew Posts: 317
    einriba wrote:
    but after 24 years of riding, I should really know where my saddle should be!

Funny isn't it? When I got my current mountain bike I got it set up in about 5 minutes, the road bike took me weeks of tweaking the saddle height before I got it right.
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Eddie Merckx always had an allen key with him and constantly adjusted his saddle height, sometimes on the move.

Having a bike fit by an "expert" won't necessarily give you the right answer anyway, there is no one formula that suits all. Best (and cheaper) to just keep tinkering in small increments.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    blinddrew wrote:
    einriba wrote:
    but after 24 years of riding, I should really know where my saddle should be!

Funny isn't it? When I got my current mountain bike I got it set up in about 5 minutes, the road bike took me weeks of tweaking the saddle height before I got it right.

Exactly the same for me on my general road bike setup.
  • Part of the problem may be that getting a proper inside leg measurement is difficult as a man. One can never be sure how much one is meant to squash ones gentlemans parts during the process.

My inside leg is 78.5cm as measured by my wife. Despite this, I had a bike fit and my saddle height is 740. So, shorter legs and a hgher saddle than you. What matters is the correct leg angles, and that's why you should get the fit done and work on it. If they do it properly it can take account of ankle flexibility which has some bearing as well.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    A bike fit might not get it exactly right, if someone came in in the night and moved my saddle just 2mm up or down, I would know it as soon as I rode it. Some people are this sensitive to it, some aren't. It's odd when people talk about 10mm movements as if they don't know what is best for them and that they can't physically tell either, if you are like that, I think a bike fit is the best way of getting so close that it will be ok for you.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    t4tomo wrote:
    Eddie Merckx always had an allen key with him and constantly adjusted his saddle height, sometimes on the move.

Having a bike fit by an "expert" won't necessarily give you the right answer anyway, there is no one formula that suits all. Best (and cheaper) to just keep tinkering in small increments.

^ This.

If its good enough for Eddie - it's good enough for me.

If you've managed for 24 years like this - I think you'll be fine.

Next we'll all be having professional car fittings done. They'll tweak your car seat all over the place and insist you listen to Radio 2 and have the temperature at a constant 18.8 degrees for optimum awakedness.
  • dave02
    dave02 Posts: 325
    Its all b
    ks 10mm could be a new pair of shorts pads, you could have thicker socks on, you could be riding on the drops more, stop messing about and ride your bike.
  • einriba
    So I did the bike fit last night. Very interesting and absolutely loved it! Never seen power graphs that I produce before and watched them change as the position is changed.

I was very close to the final position. As suspected, I was too low. Saddle height is now (centre of BB to top of saddle) 73.8.

Insanely inflexible on hamstrings and achilles. Very flexible hip flexor.

The most interesting points were that my saddle has moved forward and my cleats back. I was a subscriber to the old skool method of saddle back as far as it goes, stem all the way to the bottom and ball of foot directly over pedal axle.

However, when pedalling foot angle changes so that I was almost on my toes when riding. Pulling the cleat back feels like I'm now on a massive platform! Bars came up 5mm to match the saddle height increase and keep a good posture.

Loved every minute of it. Very envious and wish my job was like that....
  • johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    Pleased you managed to get things sorted!

I can't recommend a bike fit enough. Why fanny around until the cows come home with your saddle, bars, cleats etc and not really be sure what you're doing is right? The bike fit I had was the best £140 I've spent on cycling. My set up was miles off the mark for my riding style/position/posture.

Once you're used to your new set up, you'll find you can cover more miles with less fatigue/pain!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Who did your bike fit ?
  • einriba
    cougie wrote:
    Who did your bike fit ?

Got it done by Paul at Ride in Plymouth (http://www.rideplymouth.co.uk)