Rockhopper 2011 mess

Nijinsky
Nijinsky Posts: 35
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

I few years ago i purchased my 2011 Rockhopper, actually no i got this one on insurance 2 years ago since someone decided they would take my first! Anyhow, I've not done as many trails as I would have liked, but I have used it daily for a 6 mile round trip to work most days on the road.

I moved up into the Pennines 2 weeks ago and the tracks around my house are looking very fun so I thought I'm going to get my bike serviced and get back on the road.

I had it serviced last year too.

Anyway, cut a long story short my bike has a lot of problems! Fork has play, needs a new chain and rear chain set, and possibly a front one, and new brakes! I'm worried about the cost but also dont know whether to take this as an opportunity to upgrade a few things?

Here is the spec.

Fork:SR Suntour SF11-XCR-DS-26-LO-SP, 80mm, 1 piece alloy lower, 30mm steel stanchions, hydraulic damping with mic-tuned spike valve and lockout

Gears:Shimano Deore 9 speed Shadow Long cage Rear / Shimano Alivio, 34.9mm clamp, top swing, dual pull Front / Chainset Shimano FC-M430-8, Octalink 44/32/22

any help and reccomendations would be appreciated.

Comments

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    The fork is rubbish, the drive train is fine but chain sets wear on all bikes regardless of cost and need replacing.

Why do your brakes need replacing?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • I have spoken to him in a less shocked state and i think its just contamination on the pads so only the pads need replacing.

As for the forks im eyeing up some Rockshox Reba's or Rockshox Recons. Would these do the job?
  • First thing I did when I bought my Rockhopper was replace the old Rochsox Dart3's that had stopped working with a new set of Reba RLT's solo air, these really transformed the bike and I would recomend you go allong the same lines...
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Will my Rockhopper take a 1.5 1/8 fork or 1 1/8 fork?? im not sure how to find out. Dont have the bike as its at the shop but im doing a lot of googling!

Also RE the Reba's. The 2012 seem to be dual air and the 2013 are solo air?
  • My'n are 1 1/8 100mm travel with a QR axle and yes solo air, my first air fork and very easy to adjust with a shock pump. Ask them at the shop they will tell you what you need to replace. Its fairly easy to do if you use the search function you'll find loads of threads on the subject, and some videos on youtube.

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/f ... -2013.html
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Specs for the bike are HERE.

For a 2011 Rockhopper the headset is 1 1/8".
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The XCR isn't rubbish but it's not the best either, do they actually have enough play to warrant replacing until you know it's what you need?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    The XCR isn't rubbish but it's not the best either, do they actually have enough play to warrant replacing until you know it's what you need?

probably not but i have a bee in my bonnet now, was thinking if I could get hold of some of the next day or so i could ask him to help me set them up while its being serviced.

is there a reason the reba's went to solo air for 2013? would there be any difference?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Reason - cost, slightly less adjustable, if you are rubbish at setting up forks that can be a good thing (less to get wrong!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sorry to keep on bothering. the headset. It definitely doesnt take a tapered neck? As that what i keep reading i should buy.

Something like this.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/rock ... -prod94672
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You cannot fit a tapered fork.
  • Thanks guys. The help has been very much appreciated.