Tools needed for Campagnolo Veloce

trekker66
trekker66 Posts: 53
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I currently have Tiagra on my bike and was looking to change to Campagnolo Veloce. I do all my own maintenance so I was wondering whether my current tools (X-Tools Bike Tool Kit - 18 Piece) would be fine? What additions, if any, would I need to make to my set of tools to make sure I can do everything required maintenance wise?

Thanks

Comments

• You will need a 14mm hex driver to fit the crankset and Torx T25 driver to fit the ergo levers.

At some point you will need the Park or equivalent tools for crankset removal/bearing replacement.
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    Campag veloce/centaur is great, works very nicely and I wouldn't have anything else.

However, I would strongly advise to get an alternative compatible chainset like an FSA. The design of the campag makes it a nightmare to remove, might be ok with the specific Park tool but it costs a fortune. It's a stupid design for a budget groupset.

It is possible to get it off with a gear puller (designed for car mechanics to use) but not easy, I have broken a gear puller and scratched the chainset during removal and it was a nightmare compared to the utter simplicity of an FSA chainset.
  • Thanks for the replies, that was my fear about campag. I hear great reviews but I did think I may have some issues with maintenance as they like their very specific tools!

Do you have a link to the Park tool that I would need to buy to get the chainset off? I assume there is a cheaper version I can buy (i.e not Park).
  • With Park, unfortunately you need both CBP-3 and CBP-5, they are about £50 each!

http://www.parktool.com/product/campagn ... -set-cbp-5
    http://www.parktool.com/product/campagn ... -set-cbp-3
  • Hi

Re chainset removal - we don't recommend the Park tool in any case ... there are two principal methods:

For consumers / occasional Campagnolo mechanics -
    See the tools and the method here:
    http://www.velotech-cycling.ltd.uk/campagnolo_faq.shtml
    This was the original method recommended by Campanolo and works fine so long as you use the Facom remover. Other flywheel pullers (as noted by an earlier respondent) do not work well, if at all.

Commercial mechanics -
    The third-party tool that Campagnolo actually recommend is from Cyclus, but that's principally for heavy commercial workshop use. In fact, before this tool was available, we pulled upwards of 100 cranks using the "consumer" method, including cranks that had caused other methods to break tools.

Campagnolo would not recommend the use of a third-party chainset. Whilst third party chainsets require fewer tools for removal, their function is not as good as the Campagnolo original item, especially if a compact 50/34 chainset is used - we get a lot of communication about poor front shift performance and we can usually trace it to one (or in really bad cases, all) of the following causes:
      Non Campag chainset. Poor FD positioning, especially fore-aft on the tube because a braze-on has been used with a 3rd party clip. Poor FD set-up, especially with regard to correct cable tension. Poor shifting technique / timing.

If you have queries on Campag kit, it's generally best to speak to a Campagnolo ProShop or contact us as the main Campagnolo factory-appointed and supported Service Centre in the UK.

Safe miles
    Graeme
    Velotech Cycling Ltd.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    gfk_velo wrote:
    Hi

Re chainset removal - we don't recommend the Park tool in any case ... there are two principal methods:

For consumers / occasional Campagnolo mechanics -
    See the tools and the method here:
    http://www.velotech-cycling.ltd.uk/campagnolo_faq.shtml
    This was the original method recommended by Campanolo and works fine so long as you use the Facom remover. Other flywheel pullers (as noted by an earlier respondent) do not work well, if at all.

Commercial mechanics -
    The third-party tool that Campagnolo actually recommend is from Cyclus, but that's principally for heavy commercial workshop use. In fact, before this tool was available, we pulled upwards of 100 cranks using the "consumer" method, including cranks that had caused other methods to break tools.

Campagnolo would not recommend the use of a third-party chainset. Whilst third party chainsets require fewer tools for removal, their function is not as good as the Campagnolo original item, especially if a compact 50/34 chainset is used - we get a lot of communication about poor front shift performance and we can usually trace it to one (or in really bad cases, all) of the following causes:
      Non Campag chainset. Poor FD positioning, especially fore-aft on the tube because a braze-on has been used with a 3rd party clip. Poor FD set-up, especially with regard to correct cable tension. Poor shifting technique / timing.

If you have queries on Campag kit, it's generally best to speak to a Campagnolo ProShop or contact us as the main Campagnolo factory-appointed and supported Service Centre in the UK.

Safe miles
    Graeme
    Velotech Cycling Ltd.
    Is the Facom only for use on carbon cranks (I have alloy)? Do I need the U.301 or can I use the U.14L which I have already bought?
    I have just fitted Veloce and it works great. The pressure needed for shifting especially the FD is far less that my Record 11s. However, Im finding all this tool stuff very confusing to the point where Im on the verge of buying the two Park sets because its clear how they work and they will also remove my UT bearings.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    The facom puller is £50 as well, a chainset should not require such a big outlay on tools. The design is a disaster frankly.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Not a diaster at all. Campagnolo just figure most people will take it to a shop. Power torque works very well.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • That was one reason for me not going campag. I like to do all my own maintenance and dont want to have to take it in to a shop, maybe I should get a different chainset?
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Might be worth investigating the new Campagnolo Over Torque chainsets, or hunt down NOS Veloce Ultra Torque chainsets on eBay.
  • Not a diaster at all. Campagnolo just figure most people will take it to a shop. Power torque works very well.

Hmmm. Discovered today that what Geoff said above about the Park Tools are sadly true, they are totally inadequate for the job. In fact the tool actually bent before the crank even moved. The Park video on removal and the ease with which the crank comes off is completely laughable.

As to people taking the cranks to a shop...well I just spent most of the afternoon ringing around all the bike shops near where I live and where I work, about 10 in total, and guess how many had the tools to remove a power torque crank...exactly none of them!

Great!