Cheap "pack away" coat?

SE43
SE43 Posts: 44
edited October 2013 in Road buying advice
Wanting a cheap coat for cycling and if it rains I can whip it out of my jersey pocket and put it on, but without breaking the bank, preferably one designed for cycling. Anyone have one?
B'TWIN Triban 5a

Comments

• Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389
    I bought a Madsion Stratos for around £32 that does the job perfectly. I'm not sure if that fits your idea of cheap though.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • SE43
    Ride hard wrote:
    I bought a Madsion Stratos for around £32 that does the job perfectly. I'm not sure if that fits your idea of cheap though.

It's on the right ballpark. I saw someone link an halfords one a while ago for £14 I think but unsure if it would be small enough packed down to fit in the jersey. I will take a look at the Madison Stratos though, thank you.
    B'TWIN Triban 5a
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    Or buy three from Aldi for the same total price next time they are doing cycling stuff.
  • SE43
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Or buy three from Aldi for the same total price next time they are doing cycling stuff.

Are they the pack away type? I was thinking of this, I believe the next date for the cycling stuff is 21st November at Aldi.
    B'TWIN Triban 5a
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    SE43 wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:

Are they the pack away type? I was thinking of this, I believe the next date for the cycling stuff is 21st November at Aldi.

They do two sorts - one is more substantial commuter (never tried this one but looks good for price). The other is packaway for about £12-15 and is VERY similar in look, size, weight and performance to a Montane featherlight (about £40 I think) I had previously. Perfect for sticking in your back pocket. It has a good back vent, and keeps the showers off. Like pretty much anything else I have tried under £60 (I haven't been higher) it will seep in sustained rain and you'll get sweaty in mild weather.
    I don't know which is in their next sale though - they might only do the lightweight ones in the spring.
  • speedo
    speedo Posts: 115
    Go for a ENDURA PAKAJAK retailing for around £40
    It packs down really small enough to fit in your back pocket with space for other items
    Had mine since they first came out around 2 years ago - recommended to many
  • iand-83
    iand-83 Posts: 132
    speedo wrote:
    Go for a ENDURA PAKAJAK retailing for around £40
    It packs down really small enough to fit in your back pocket with space for other items
    Had mine since they first came out around 2 years ago - recommended to many

+1 for the Endura pakajak, got mine from Chain Reaction for £38, used it for the first time today, commuting home nice fit and reflective detail plus the under arm vents are a nice touch. Not used it in the wet yet though.
  • SE43
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    SE43 wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:

They do two sorts - one is more substantial commuter (never tried this one but looks good for price). The other is packaway for about £12-15 and is VERY similar in look, size, weight and performance to a Montane featherlight (about £40 I think) I had previously. Perfect for sticking in your back pocket. It has a good back vent, and keeps the showers off. Like pretty much anything else I have tried under £60 (I haven't been higher) it will seep in sustained rain and you'll get sweaty in mild weather.
    I don't know which is in their next sale though - they might only do the lightweight ones in the spring.

Yeah that would be fine for what I need it for. Think I'll wait out for one of those then.
    B'TWIN Triban 5a
  • Got a paka jak it does the job but not breathable so don't layer up too heavy underneath
  • Gunnsie
    Gunnsie Posts: 171
    SE43 wrote:
    Ride hard wrote:

It's on the right ballpark. I saw someone link an halfords one a while ago for £14 I think but unsure if it would be small enough packed down to fit in the jersey. I will take a look at the Madison Stratos though, thank you.

This one?? http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_948607_langId_-1_categoryId_273966
  • SE43
    Gunnsie wrote:
    SE43 wrote:
    Ride hard wrote:

This one?? http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_948607_langId_-1_categoryId_273966

That is the one exactly, thank you, will take a look at this.
    B'TWIN Triban 5a
  • Have a look at Polaris RBS. They have both jacket and gillet which are windproof and breathable. There is no point in going waterproof as you will sweat so much. About £30 or so, and fit into a rear pocket. Also are hi-vis which is no bad thing in the rain. Available in Go Outdoors if you like to look and touch before you buy.
  • doolie
    doolie Posts: 42
    My cheap Aldi waterproof jacket took me through last winter with just a baselayer. Suprisingly good VFM. It's my go-to jacket for mucky weather and has held up well, a bit thicker than the ultralight/packajak type. Was around £20 as i recall
    PlanetX RT-57
    Orbea Orca
    Felt DA
    GT Grade
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    Just got a Santini one of EBay for less than a tenner ... Result :D

Purchased my lad one from Decathlon ... It's ridiculously light and packs away into it's own pocket for £29.99
    Once folded away it's probably no bigger than ya testicles!
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • I was in my local Halfords today and they were selling all Craft and Sportful clothing for half price - I picked up on of the Reflex 2 jackets for £14. It folds up into a small pocket and would be about the size of a coke can but this can be compressed further or squashed inside a pocket etc if desired. Halfords had some other, thinner jackets there too and the half price took a lot of them well under £40.00.
  • Mickyg88
    Mickyg88 Posts: 289
    Might make me an oldie, but what about a pacamac.... Just a thought.