Ultegra 6500 9 speed Standard chainset to Compact

dubbs2009
dubbs2009 Posts: 310
edited October 2013 in Workshop
Hi guys,

Thinking of moving from Ultegra 6500 9 speed standard chainset to compact.... Anyone done similar?

It's a winter bike so don't want to spend lots of £s....

A cheap 9 speed compact chainset available here > http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shi ... 5#features

What would be involved in changing to a compact chainset... any problems? I've read the Ultegra 6500 uses an old BB which is not compatible with anything really... so will that need changing also?

Will chain be OK? or need new one etc?

I have x2 cassettes I used 12-23 and 12-27

Any idea on likely costs? / problems / worth it or not?

Comments

• It doesn't need to be a 9 speed chainset... if you find a 10 speed on offer it will do just fine. I have used 10 speed chainsets with 9 speed chains for years with no problem at all.
    left the forum March 2023
  • dubbs2009
    It doesn't need to be a 9 speed chainset... if you find a 10 speed on offer it will do just fine. I have used 10 speed chainsets with 9 speed chains for years with no problem at all.

OK great - thanks. That helps as not many 9 speed compact chainsets around!

So next question is then - which compact chainset will work with the Ultegra 6500 BB?
  • dubbs2009 wrote:
    It doesn't need to be a 9 speed chainset... if you find a 10 speed on offer it will do just fine. I have used 10 speed chainsets with 9 speed chains for years with no problem at all.

So next question is then - which compact chainset will work with the Ultegra 6500 BB?

Probably none, as you have octalink, which came earlier than compact chain sets. Yu need a new BB system, namely Hollowtech II. It's got external bearings, so for winter use is inferior to yours. On balance I would keep the chainset you have as it is more durable. Can you not get a slightly bigger cassette? There is nothing magic about compact chainsets, in fact they are shxte if you ask me...
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    I did this on my Spesh Alez Comp. I used a Stronglight Impact compact from Spa Cycles. This chainset uses a conventional square taper BB (JIS). It worked fine but I eventually changed it again for a 6503 triple.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • dubbs2009
    dubbs2009 wrote:

Probably none, as you have octalink, which came earlier than compact chain sets. Yu need a new BB system, namely Hollowtech II. It's got external bearings, so for winter use is inferior to yours. On balance I would keep the chainset you have as it is more durable. Can you not get a slightly bigger cassette? There is nothing magic about compact chainsets, in fact they are shxte if you ask me...

Thanks - was looking at http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-tiagra- ... -chainset/ and then http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-tiagra- ... t-cup-set/ for BB - with those 2 in place then all should work yeh? e.g. after lowering the front mech a bit also...

RE: cassette - the largest Ultegra 6500 will run is 27T - so I am gonna get one of them - but even with 27T rear cassette on 39T smallest chainring - that's still quite a hard gear to turn on steep climbs... Would much prefer a 27T rear and 34T chainring setup...

Is switching a BB and chainset an easy-ish job?
  • dubbs2009 wrote:
    dubbs2009 wrote:

Thanks - was looking at http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-tiagra- ... -chainset/ and then http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-tiagra- ... t-cup-set/ for BB - with those 2 in place then all should work yeh? e.g. after lowering the front mech a bit also...

RE: cassette - the largest Ultegra 6500 will run is 27T - so I am gonna get one of them - but even with 27T rear cassette on 39T smallest chainring - that's still quite a hard gear to turn on steep climbs... Would much prefer a 27T rear and 34T chainring setup...

Is switching a BB and chainset an easy-ish job?

It is a job that requires a fair few tools... if you don't have them, then it becomes an expensive job. Per se, if you know what you are doing it's 10 minutes
  • dubbs2009
    It is a job that requires a fair few tools... if you don't have them, then it becomes an expensive job. Per se, if you know what you are doing it's 10 minutes

OK, so likely I dont have the tools - probs worth taking to a shop to sort if a 10min job...

What tools would one need?
  • dubbs2009 wrote:

OK, so likely I dont have the tools - probs worth taking to a shop to sort if a 10min job...

What tools would one need?

Crank extractor, tool to remove Shimano cartridge BB... tool to install Hollowtech II BB cups and push the load-dustcap... Allen Keys for the Hollowtech II crank arm and to remove the crank bolts.
    And a large adjustable spanner or a set of sockets + ratchet

You sure you don't want to try my 12-27 cassette first and see if that works out, as per other thread?
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    You could swap your rear mech to an MTB one and then increase your cassette size to 34T. An easier job than changing the chainset IMO but you will still need basic tools like a chainwhip and cassette lock ring tool.
  • dubbs2009
    mister p wrote:
    You could swap your rear mech to an MTB one and then increase your cassette size to 34T. An easier job than changing the chainset IMO but you will still need basic tools like a chainwhip and cassette lock ring tool.

Thanks - but I am running Ultegra 6500 so I'd rather not stick a MTB rear mech on there and go with a massive cassette - I am sticking on a 27T cassette to see how that works - then if still need some more easy gears then gonna get the octalink compact double and give that a shot....