2008 FSR XC questions

ednino
ednino Posts: 684
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I've bought a second hand FSR XC frame (2008) to build up. The lower shock bush has some play.
Is this much of a job? Is it worth doing the rest of the bearings at the same time?

Any help / advise apreciated. Never had a full suspension before

Comments

• ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    LBS charge about £120 to do all the bushes :shock:
    I've got a bearing press at work that i've used for car wheel bearings etc..

Can't be too hard :?:
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Bushes or bearings?

Bike shops can be rather expensive to pay to do this mind.
  • maringirl
    maringirl Posts: 195
    Shock bush replacement should only cost about £15-20 done by your LBS.
    Different ball game when it comes to frame bearings and price depends on how many bearings are in the frame and how far the bike has to be stripped down to do it. Some bearings are an absolute pig to get out. Work on an average of £10 per bearing and you won't be far out cost-wise. If you mess the job up then no comeback - if the LBS messes it up they'll have to replace bu they are less likely to do so as they should have the proper kit for extracting and replacing the offending items!!!
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    I've done the bearings on that exact frame

as said above, can be a pig to get out. I used a socket set and a hammer to remove, and a g clamp, patience and a lot of grease to get them back in

The frame bearings weren't that difficult. It was the linkage bearings that were the most difficult

Shock bushings are a POP. 10 min job.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Pop the bearings in the freezer for a couple of hours before you try to fit them. They will contract a bit and it may be enough to making fitting easier.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009