Cant refit shock!

JParko
JParko Posts: 10
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I was helping my mate out at the weekend and we removed his shock to give it a basic service but are struggling to get it back on. The bike is a 2011 Trek Fuel EX8. The top of the shock fits in fine and both bolts easily go in but its just the bottom is impossible to fit in the gap.

This is the part we can not get in: http://ap1.pinkbike.org/p4pb7935772/p4pb7935772.jpg

Cheers

Comments

• mac-cos
    mac-cos Posts: 80
    Try loosening the bolts that hold the bottom rocker in a little, it might just give you the clearance you need. Also it may be easier to fit the troublesome end 1st then do the other.
    PS don't forget to tighten any bolts that were loosened and it might be wise to check if they were fitted with threadlock as well as it may need to be refreshed if undone.
  • JParko
    Thanks we will give that a go.
    I have tried fitting the other end first but still no luck. Will let you know how we get on.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like you need to fit the adaptors correctly. sounds like they are not pressed home fully.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • JParko
    As far as I know they where pressed in fully.
    It was a bit of a nightmare to get out, was really tight in there. I did think it would be a ball ache to get back in.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    JParko wrote:
    As far as I know they where pressed in fully.
    It was a bit of a nightmare to get out, was really tight in there. I did think it would be a ball ache to get back in.
    so why would it be easier to re fit that it was to remove?

clean every thing and check the reducers are really full fitted and the fit it.

have fun.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    The Fuel EX range is known for being a little bit tough to re-fit that lower shock mount. Mac-cos had it spot on with his answer