New flagship Specialized store in Chelmsford

Bar Shaker
Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
I popped over to Chelmsford on Saturday and saw the new Spesh store, with builders running around everywhere trying to get it finished. Jeez it's a big shop and with 5000sqft of area it will be Specialized's biggest shop.

Not sure the boys in Athlon across the road will be too pleased. Then again, may be they will as it will pull more cycling shoppers into the area.

It opens this Saturday. http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.u ... ford-store

I wonder if the mega bike stores are the future, just like car dealerships. It is obviously a sign of cycling's popularity that a company like Spesh is making this investment and obviously goes away from the internet buying model.
Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
Boardman FS Pro

Comments

• This sort of thing can help other shops - learned it in geography as agglomeration economies. Just like why here where I work in Stockton there is about a dozen car dealerships next door to each other, you'd imagine they'd want to space out, but no.

People go to see the Spesh store but while they are there will go into shops for other brands too, everyone benefits, if everyone ups their game.

Certainly there is a big place for something better than the dimly lit tiny local bike shop where you can't move for all the stock on display and the likes of Halfords.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    gosh amazing, in Chelmsford of all places. Somewhere near the ice rink?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    About the cr@ppiest place in the UK to ride a bike IME - fully of chavs driving around in hatchbacks yelling abuse plus few roads worth riding - guess it's about the right place to put a shop selling, dull and uninspiring bikes then? ;-)
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • giant_man
    Monty Dog wrote:
    About the cr@ppiest place in the UK to ride a bike IME - fully of chavs driving around in hatchbacks yelling abuse plus few roads worth riding - guess it's about the right place to put a shop selling, dull and uninspiring bikes then? ;-)
    Yeah right, and you're from Fleet .....
  • Bar Shaker
    giant man wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:

PMSL why do some people post stuff like that? He clearly knows nothing about Chelmsford or the surrounding area at all.

GM it's at the bottom of Springfield Road, just before it gets to Tesco.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Just waiting for a Storck dealership to open up in Barking....
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Bar Shaker wrote:
    giant man wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:

PMSL why do some people post stuff like that? He clearly knows nothing about Chelmsford or the surrounding area at all.

I think he must just be unhappy because the TDF is coming to Chelmsford and not Fleet :wink:

Never really liked spesh bikes, but I do love their gloves, so looks like I have a guaranteed source on my doorstep now then.
  • giant_man
    Balaclavas wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    giant man wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:

I think he must just be unhappy because the TDF is coming to Chelmsford and not Fleet :wink:
    He's probably been to Essex once, and thinks Essex is all the same. Doesn't get out much I reckon.
  • stealf
    stealf Posts: 49
    Fondly remember the days of cycling in and around Chelmsford, the route from chelmer village up to Danbury Common, play there all day on my mtb then fly home. Covered in Mud. The route home was all off road. Ace. I am smiling as I write this, Proper emo :_) The Friends I met there and wish I still knew, guys at chelmer cycles, the south African guy and his dog who built the majority of the trails up at Danbury. John and his mates who taught me to clear doubles ( they were at least 10 years younger than I, but had the patience to teach an old man) to all of them I wish you all happy miles and hope you're all still riding.

But then... Road cycling, getting nudged of the bike, being shouted at, having food thrown at us just for riding our bikes. So happy when i movesd to London... weirdly and suprisingly more friendly towards roadies.

No comment on the new store, hope it helps not hinders Chelmer Cycles though - those boys know their stuff and are honest. What more can I say.
    A bicycle ride is a flight from sadness.
    James E. Starrs

Current Bikes
    1999 Trek 6000 still looking mint
    2007Spesh StumpJumper FSR Elite
    2012 Sabbath September - Ooohhhh is that Titanium?
  • Bar Shaker
    stealf wrote:
    No comment on the new store, hope it helps not hinders Chelmer Cycles though - those boys know their stuff and are honest. What more can I say.

John and the boys at CC are local heros and are still where you take your bike if you want it serviced/repaired correctly, so I can't see the new store affecting them.

Stealf I find the roads of Essex a pretty friendly place to ride so it's a shame to hear you had some grief before moving away.

Total agree about gloves, especially the S-Works ones. A new pair are on my crimbo list.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    Monty Dog wrote:

I called in to the new Nottingham concept store this aft and I was the only customer.

Then an alpine bmw with scuffed alloys and pimped out windows drew up and a carful of wannabe gangstas wandered in, baseball caps back to front as you do. Making noises about buying MTBs and so on.

So yes, specialized may be intent on world domination but it would be a brave man who buys a concept store franchise.
  • concept stores are dinosaurs that should die out. people dont want to be tied to one brand. i doubt it will last long.

its in the majestic wine building innit? interesting to get athlons take but i havent popped in since they started work on the spec store.
  • Bar Shaker wrote:
    giant man wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:

as a life long mid essex man and boy, to be fair monty dog has a bit of a point.

chelmsford used to be nice when i was a little kid in the late 80's early 90's. a nice market town. its steadily got cr*ppier and worse, and more scummy as its got larger and the nature of the town changed to communterville (i am a communter but am actually from the area) and all the incomers and new development and sprawl, and become 'anytown uk'.

there is some nice (nothing spectacular) cycling country to the east west and north and parts south, but as you get nearer the new towns and estuary and south of chelmsford in general you get some proper wan*ers driving around, both chavs and orange people straight out of central casting for birds of a feather or towie...

rant over
  • giant_man
    there's wan%ers in cars everywhere, in case you haven't noticed ...
  • concept stores are dinosaurs that should die out. people dont want to be tied to one brand. i doubt it will last long.

That's not strictly true...especially with Specialized, there are a lot of S-Works fanboys out there who would be very reluctant to try anything else. Not necessarily a bad thing, it is a brand they are happy to be tied with for as long as they ride a bike
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    giant man wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:

I lived there for a while, have family in the area and can say with confidence that it's probably the sh!ttiest place in the South Easy, particularly for cycling - my wife and I couldn't wait to move away. To compare the cycling around Chelmsford to Fleet is laughable - I have the Surrey Hills, North Downs, South Downs and miles of quiet Hampshire lanes to enjoy. I can road race 6 times a week in the summer, have a local CX league and MTB enduros on my doorstep in comparison to riding timetrials up and down the A12 or some piddly circuit races?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • That's not strictly true...especially with Specialized, there are a lot of S-Works fanboys out there who would be very reluctant to try anything else. Not necessarily a bad thing, it is a brand they are happy to be tied with for as long as they ride a bike

Specialized does seem to attract that sort, dunno why. A friend of my absolutely would not consider riding anything else.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,147
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    giant man wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:

I lived there for a while, have family in the area and can say with confidence that it's probably the sh!ttiest place in the South Easy, particularly for cycling - my wife and I couldn't wait to move away. To compare the cycling around Chelmsford to Fleet is laughable - I have the Surrey Hills, North Downs, South Downs and miles of quiet Hampshire lanes to enjoy. I can road race 6 times a week in the summer, have a local CX league and MTB enduros on my doorstep in comparison to riding timetrials up and down the A12 or some piddly circuit races?

Sorry you didn't like Chelmsford and the cycling around Essex; however there are plenty that do. I'd agree that the roads to the south don't offer much, but there is good cycling country in every other direction. Granted we don't have the Surrey Hills but there are plenty of quiet country roads in very easy reach. You can completely avoid Chavs in Hatchbacks; they feel a million miles away cycling through villages like Finchingfield, Thaxted and most of the rest of North Essex.
    There are quite a few clubs around and all sorts of events going on most weekends.
    Maybe not the best for cycling due to it being fairly flat, but its not a bad place (at least for Road cycling) by any means.
  • gds08
    gds08 Posts: 948
    Monty Dog wrote:

Dick
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    That's not strictly true...especially with Specialized, there are a lot of S-Works fanboys out there who would be very reluctant to try anything else. Not necessarily a bad thing, it is a brand they are happy to be tied with for as long as they ride a bike

Specialized does seem to attract that sort, dunno why. A friend of my absolutely would not consider riding anything else.

They have the best marketing and product range that's why.

Socks, shoes, clothing, helmets, bikes, components, tyres. The whole deal.

Whilst their base bikes are dull and overpriced, their s works bikes are fabulous and their after sales and warranty is excellent.

That's why.
  • I popped in there saturday to have a look round. The people there were nice. Im not a massive specialized fan but i am secretly looking for a shiv tt bike for the summer so went and had a look at that. Nice shop but not for me, far too organised i like a proper bike shop.

As for the driving around there after todays little outing i can only dream of the day i move back to mallorca. The gutless arse driving the Audi estate in Rayleigh today is going to have his day ruined when i catch up with him next time. I love it how you sit there there quiet at a junction then they say nothing once they have a clear path to drive away wound down the window and called me everything under the sun including c@@t infront of his wife and two little kids. Didnt have the guts to say anything when he was within punching distance? Gutless twat. Then roared up the road to about 60mph on a back street full of kids playing in it? I will get my own back i know where he lives. Counting the days to return to mallorca.

I genuinely take my helmet off to anybody on here who can say they honestly enjoy riding over here. I hate it and when the day comes i move back to the uk, my cycling days will be over which will pain me to the core but i get so annoyed wit the way people treat you and have no regard for your safety i will one day do something i would regret for sure and to me thats not worth it. Im a placid guy but in the three months ive been over here, if i stay longer i will end up doing time for some of the things i will end up doing when somebody pushes my buttons on the wrong day. How you all keep a lid on things i dont know.

I cannot wait to go home. Chapeau to you all.
  • Monty Dog wrote:

If you're talking specifically about Chelmsford itself then cycling around it will be like cycling around any town. But if you get 5 minutes out of the town then west, north or east you have some fantastic roads and countryside. Even Cav rides from his place in Stanford Rivers to Chelmford then up to Dunmow, the lanes are superb and i know because i cycle past his gaff and have seen him many a time training on these roads.
    Chelsmford is no different than any other town and you will always get the ars£hole car drivers no matter where, but to say the roads are rubbish to ride is wrong. Try cycling west from Chelmsford to Epping, which happens to be part of the Stage 3 TDF route next year and you will know why.
  • Monty Dog wrote:

If you're talking specifically about Chelmsford itself then cycling around it will be like cycling around any town. But if you get 5 minutes out of the town then west, north or east you have some fantastic roads and countryside. Even Cav rides from his place in Stanford Rivers to Chelmford then up to Dunmow, the lanes are superb and i know because i cycle past his gaff and have seen him many a time training on these roads.
    Chelsmford is no different than any other town and you will always get the ars£hole car drivers no matter where, but to say the roads are rubbish to ride is wrong. Try cycling west from Chelmsford to Epping, which happens to be part of the Stage 3 TDF route next year and you will know why.

Alex Dowsett is also a regular rider in the Danbury/Chelmsford area. It doesn't matter where you ride in the UK, if you ride in a town centre, you will meet tools in their Chavy Hatchbacks!
  • Bar Shaker
    I went to the shop on Sunday. Got some new lightweight 60mm valved inner tubes and some new gloves. Had a look at the Venges and was generally very impressed. The staff even gave me a discount and were very helpful.

I also called into Athlon, as I had the missus with me and showed her the new over shoes I want from Santa.

Spesh are next to Majestic, in the old furniture shop.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Monty Dog wrote:

Alex Dowsett is also a regular rider in the Danbury/Chelmsford area. It doesn't matter where you ride in the UK, if you ride in a town centre, you will meet tools in their Chavy Hatchbacks!

quelle surprise... he lives in great baddow....not exactly much choice for his riding when hes at home if he lives in the area! pop along to athlon if u fancy a chat with him,
  • Bar Shaker wrote:
    I went to the shop on Sunday. Got some new lightweight 60mm valved inner tubes and some new gloves. Had a look at the Venges and was generally very impressed. The staff even gave me a discount and were very helpful.

I also called into Athlon, as I had the missus with me and showed her the new over shoes I want from Santa.

Spesh are next to Majestic, in the old furniture shop.

i suppose it will probably do ok until the year after le tour has gone and the hoo ha has died down...i wonder if they had any inkling of that when they chose quite a surprising location (c'ford) for one of their stores....