SKS Chromoplastics fitting

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited October 2013 in Workshop
Any solutions as to how to fit the front mudguard fork crown bracket? If you have regular brake callipers and carbon forks the brake bolt is recessed into the fork crown and the back of the fork crown is not flat. So, put the bracket on the front of the fork crown. But then the front of the mudguard doesnt follow the curve of the wheel and sticks out at an odd angle. Evans have a tutorial on YouTube and the bike has cantilever brakes, really helpful.
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Mine is mounted in front of the (carbon) fork and behind the brake caliper and it looks fine. It just means the whole mudguard is rotated maybe 5 degrees further forwards, but it still follows the curve of the tyre perfectly. The mudflap means this isn't at the expense of wet feet.

I watched this video a couple of times before attempting to fit mine. Slightly different guards but the fittings / principles are the same. Couple of useful hints included.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG_WZVS9SUY

(better than the Evans video which neglects the vital step of cutting the stays to fit)
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Here's an SKS Longboard fitted in front of fork - no problem following the curve of the wheel. Just tweak by adjusting stays and cutting them to correct length. You can buy Sheldon's Problem Solver Nuts, but they're not necessary IMO.

qlvh.jpg
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    bobones wrote:
    Here's an SKS Longboard fitted in front of fork - no problem following the curve of the wheel. Just tweak by adjusting stays and cutting them to correct length. You can buy Sheldon's Problem Solver Nuts, but they're not necessary IMO.

qlvh.jpg

I'd be wary about splashing your cash on the Problem Solver nuts. I got a set in advance of fitting some SKS Bluemels Road mudguards to my Forme winter build.

I found that the replacement bolt intended for the front fork was not quite long enough to catch the thread on the caliper bolt - so effectively useless. I ended up doing as bobones did and fixed the bracket ahead of the front fork (and behind th caliper).

Note to self - don't spend on components until you find that they are really needed.