X7 v X9 v X0 Trigger Shifters

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi all

Just a quick one on shifters. IS there such a noticeable difference in performance between SRAM X7, X9 & X0 shifters? Would you pay an extra £30 for 1 x X0 trigger shifter over an X9?
I need new shifters but if the e.g. X9 does a good a job as the X0 then would naturally rather save some cash and get the X9.

Any advice would be great.
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I've got 9sp X7's I've got no idea what would be better with the higher models that would be worth the extra cash
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have had X9 & X7. I now have X0 and they are much better. Better quality lever, faster shifting and more positive.
  • Since x9 adopted ball bearing technology I would not see need to go higher . I have them and am more than happy
  • rockmonkeysc
    Since x9 adopted ball bearing technology I would not see need to go higher . I have them and am more than happy

I went from the ball bearing X9 shifters to X0. There's a surprising difference.
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    Since x9 adopted ball bearing technology I would not see need to go higher . I have them and am more than happy

I went from the ball bearing X9 shifters to X0. There's a surprising difference.

In what way would you say a surprising difference? Is the shifting that more crisp? Isn't the ball bearing technology the same in both X9 and X0?
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    X7 on the Session, can't say I'm to impressed. Shifting and build quality are both below SLX if you ask me. Haven't used X0 but the build quality 'looks' in a different league to both X7 & X9 - that goes for the whole groupo.

As for would I spend an extra £30 on a 'better' shifter - hmmm...depends, went for an XT shifter on the 'hopper but on the the Votec money was tight and I just wanted to ride the thing so went for a Zee shifter. Will prob upgrade to XT or even XTR in the future...so yeah reckon I'd spend the extra on the X0 if I had the dosh there and then
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Dawesy92
    Dawesy92 Posts: 606
    Ive got the x9 shifters and they are perfect for me. Only had them and SLX shifters mind..
  • rockmonkeysc
    mikeyj28 wrote:
    That

In what way would you say a surprising difference? Is the shifting that more crisp? Isn't the ball bearing technology the same in both X9 and X0?

The ball bearing thing is just a gimmick, it's not exactly pushing the boundaries of technology. They just use ball bearings instead of a bush.
    The X0 is more positive and faster shifting and the build quality of the shifter is much better with the X0. I used both with the same X0 mech.
    X9 is comparable to SLX and X0 is close to XTR. X7 is not as good as Deore.
    To be honest, if I didn't already have the X0 mech I would prefer to buy shimano, you get better quality and reliability for your money.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    or get Shimano XTs

I got these http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/mtb-bm ... himgmsh140

They come with the cables as well
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    ej2320 wrote:
    or get Shimano XTs

That would mean a new mech as well.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ej2320
    cooldad wrote:
    ej2320 wrote:
    or get Shimano XTs

Really? how come?
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    ej2320 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    ej2320 wrote:
    or get Shimano XTs

Really? how come?

Shimano and SRAM have different cable pull ratios (1/1 vs 2/1) so you need a matching mech if you want it to move the correct distance..
  • ej2320
    Ouija wrote:
    ej2320 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    ej2320 wrote:
    or get Shimano XTs

Really? how come?

Shimano and SRAM have different cable pull ratios (1/1 vs 2/1) so you need a matching mech if you want it to move the correct distance..

Thanks for telling me that! I never knew! Good job I got a Shimano mech and shifter my build.. That was down to chance more than anything
  • ej2320
    To answer the topic however, I have some X9s.. I don't have a comparison but they seem good to me
  • lochussie
    lochussie Posts: 276
    I have 2010 X7 on my DH bike and the only reason I've not binned them is the fact that I don't change gear that much. The action is really vague. I think shifters are one of the parts where it's worth spending a fair amount, as you are directly interacting with them all the time and they should last a long time. As opposed to mechs, say.
  • broona
    broona Posts: 414
    I've got 2011 SLX on my HT, and 2011 X9 on my FS, prefer the SLX as it just feels a little slicker, but the X9 isn't bad either.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    lochussie wrote:
    I have 2010 X7 on my DH bike and the only reason I've not binned them is the fact that I don't change gear that much. The action is really vague. I think shifters are one of the parts where it's worth spending a fair amount, as you are directly interacting with them all the time and they should last a long time. As opposed to mechs, say.

I run an X7 shifter with an X4 mech and the shifts are very quick and clean. I use jagwire ripcord cable/outers.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Got X9, X0, Deore and have owned a lot of the other Shimano stuff from Alivio upwards. The upper end Shimanos tend to be slicker shifting whereas the SRAM have a more agricultural feel, largely due to the bigger pull ratios and stiffer springs on the X9/X0 stuff that give a more satisfying "kthunk" when shifting. The X0's are a little prettier than the X9's and have the adjustability of being able to alter the position of the two levers in relationship to each other but are a little overpriced.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I only have experience of Shimano gears and have tried most the range from Alivo to XT. The lever action and feel does get noticeably nicer the more you spend. My new XT shifter and mech feels great but saying that when I ask my Deore shifter to shift my old LX mech it does so without any trouble just doesn't feel as nice but the chain moves over as instructed.