Best £250 and £350 wheel set?

sparklehedgehog
sparklehedgehog Posts: 295
edited October 2013 in Road buying advice
I have Mavic Aksium Race wheels on my Boardman team carbon that i want to upgrade.

Whats the best upgrade set for my bike for the £250 and £350 budget please?

I have spent hours trawling through thread after thread and believe the £350 set would be Fulcrum Racing 3, is this right or any better suggestions would be appreciated please?

Thanks in advance

p.s i'm 100kg so something to consider
Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
Wattbike Atom V2
Garmin Edge 530

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    At about 100kg a similar weight to me you will need a minimum of 32 spoke wheels and preferably 36 spoke wheels to be sure they will hold up. Mavic open pro's are one option. Less sturdy wheels can be used but you are taking a risk. Riders who are a lot lighter will not understand this.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    edited October 2013
    +1. At 100kg a 'best' wheelset is a well built one with min 32 double butted spokes and a good solid rim.

Factory wheels at that price range are likely to be at their limits meaning a bit of a lottery for you.

Edit: If you really must buy a factory set American Classics are pretty good and use available/replaceable components.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I wouldn't have thought Fulcrum 3's or for that matter any wheel under £500ish are much of an upgrade on what you have.
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    trek_dan wrote:
    I wouldn't have thought Fulcrum 3's or for that matter any wheel under £500ish are much of an upgrade on what you have.
    Oh yes it would. And for that matter so would Mavic Ksyrium Elites. Both are quite a bit lighter than the aksium.

However this topic has been flogged to death, and as such you won't find much folk bothering to stop over and give their tuppence.

Google will throw up lots of advice on this from various cycle forums. Most of the opinions will point to Mavic Ksyrium Elite as best bang-for-bucks factory Wheelset.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    For under 350 quid you can build either 32h or 36h Archetypes on 6800 hubs. Way stronger than Fulcrums and ride much nicer too.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    I'm with Grill. handbuilt 6800 hubs and archetypes 32/32 will come just over £300 and use totally replaceable parts. At 100Kg you'll not see the same benefit as a 75Kg rider by going for lightweight. I am a similar weight.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • I pick up a pair of archetype rims with ultegra 6800 hubs 32 very pretty flashy spokes with black nipples ( ooh error missus) this week! These came in at less than 350, 10/11 speed hubs hopefully make them slightly more future proof and with my weight, if I do harm them in any way they are fully serviceable! That's what I tell myself anyway :lol:
  • Losing 3 stone would be the best upgrade
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Losing 3 stone would be the best upgrade

that's the whole reason i'm biking in the first place but it's not an instant fix

:(
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Get something solid now, then reward yourself with something lightweight when you get the 3 stones off :-)
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    My advice would be to forget new wheels for now. Winter weather will cause accelerated wear and when you are battling against the wind in driving rain you will feel no benefit of some bling wheels.

Ride the Aksiums like you stole the bike. They are a good wheelset that do everything well and are strong enough to cope. Set a target weight for April, then when spring comes, if you have reached your weight reward yourself and get some lovely light wheels along with some fast tyres.

Not reached your target weight? Work harder fatboy :)
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Archetypes, velocity A23's or Ambrosio evolution rims these all cost differing ammounts. 32F 32R with Sapim Race spokes and lace them to Miche or the more expensive 6800 hubs. The miche hubs come with shimano 11 speed freehubs now.

Persoanlly I would go with Grey archetype on 6800 hub or black archetype on Miche Primato's both look great and will perform reliably over winter too.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    I pick up a pair of archetype rims with ultegra 6800 hubs 32 very pretty flashy spokes with black nipples ( ooh error missus) this week! These came in at less than 350, 10/11 speed hubs hopefully make them slightly more future proof and with my weight, if I do harm them in any way they are fully serviceable! That's what I tell myself anyway :lol:

Can you post some pictures of this wheel set? What spokes and who did the build?
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg