Any other Fat Bike riders on here

2»

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Cool, must just be the angle. Love how the front wheel squeezes into the fork. It's like a bike as drawn by a 5-year-old.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Picked up a fatty rolling chassis from on one last week. Just waiting on a 100mm bottom bracket before I can finish the build and go play.
  • Picked up a fatty rolling chassis from on one last week. Just waiting on a 100mm bottom bracket before I can finish the build and go play.

Nice one, what bb you going for ?
  • Went for a howitzer 100mm bb and blaze chainset. Under £60 including delivery so not too bad although i'll probably look to upgrade next year.

First impressions are lots of fun with masses of grip and you just can't help smiling when riding it.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I have a On-One Fatty (Dawn)
    Great fun, use for midweek mud rides, get some great looks and comments from everyone who see's it.

20131117_121827.jpg
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • VWsurfbum
    Here's my one,
    20131117_121827.jpg

Very tempted to get these for it, just trying to justify "needing" them
    http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/fat ... 4298-p.asp
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I have a semi-fat, rigid 29er running 3" wide Surly Knard tyres (see other thread) - it's huge fun, think oversize BMX. I've ridden a few enduros - the technical stuff is hard going, but getting it running on flowing singletrack and it's all over the back of full-sussers which they find a bit concerting. The tyre have a rolling diameter nearing 32", and with the low pressures I'll attempt stuff, both up and down that'll leave regular MTBs struggling. I did think about going full-fat but the proprietary hubs and bottom bracket make the transition expensive when I can run conventional wheels and components. I think the genre is still developing and we'll see big chunks of weight reduction - carbon frames and rims make a sub-30lb bike realistic. As long as you don't expect snappy acceleration, big wheels are huge fun and are genuine mountain bikes. The likes of Kona, Trek and Specialized have all brought out fatbikes for 2014s, so expect to see more of them about.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • where did you get the mudguards vwsurfbum?

Here's mine so far

20131215_100245_zpsecc5f681.jpg
  • VWsurfbum
    they are normal Crudcatcher race pack ones, but they are only just wide enough but do a very good job of keeping me dry.

How did you get on seating the tyres?
    I still get a bob at high speeds.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • VWsurfbum
    i make you right, lots more development still to come. Bloody cranks were a pain in the aris though. when i ordered i didnt think to look at the width! Doh!!
    I was reading a article about setting them up tubeless, i reckon i may DIY something over the next two weeks. that will save at least a stone! :lol:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    No, but this I really like the look of 8)

1387420618906_l4p6ax1so66_670_80.jpg
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Monty Dog
    With carbon frames and rims now available, plenty of scope to go below 25lb for a rigid fatty with 4" tyres. I'm waiting for the carbon frames and rims to appear on some of the Chinese frame sellers soon - why pay £1500 when you can buy the same frame direct for £500?
  • Monty Dog
    The only fatbike friendly guards I've seen are the Portland Design Works ones - works with my 29x3" Knards whereas a Crud only covers half the back wheel. Try Charlie the Bikemonger.
  • Cheers will have to look into getting some, I had a run out over the local forest today and was soaked when I got back.

VW, I took my tyres off to add sealant to the tubes (saves trying to fix a flat while out) and found that plenty of washing up liquid on the rim and around 30psi is usually enough to get a good seat. There are others swear by silicone spray too.
  • Affordable low weight rims or tyres with less drag would be a bonus too.

Personally I will be keeping an eye out for an affordable pair of suspension forks next year. The fatty is great for rolling over obstacles and grips like nothing else I have owned but a decent set of short travel forks could come in handy at times.
  • VWsurfbum
    i was reading about putting a strip of draft excluder around the outer rim to create a step up like we have on tubeless rims
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • If you want to fit front suspension and lighten up your Fat Bike with Carbon rims, carbon frames and carbon this and that you just don't get Fat Biking.

They are for taking it easy, cruising up beaches and in the sand dunes, they are for taking in the scenery and not worrying about super fast speeds and hitting bigger obstacles. There are plenty of "normal mtb's" for that sort of thing.

Have a look around on here and see what I mean
    http://s436462119.websitehome.co.uk/ind ... e03af400b;
  • Mark909
    Mark909 Posts: 456
    These look great fun but what's the rolling resistance like with these massive tyres?
  • johnmcl7
    johnmcl7 Posts: 162
    Mark909 wrote:
    These look great fun but what's the rolling resistance like with these massive tyres?

When I first saw a fat bike (before I'd heard of them) I thought the guy who was riding it was having a laugh as the enormous tyres looked like the rolling resistance would be ridiculous particularly when you see how low the pressure is on them. However after having a shot on one they roll surprisingly well, it felt quite strange as I expected it to be really hard work to pedal the bike but it wasn't at all.

I really fancy buying one and think this frame looks great, but shame it's in the US as I expected I'd get hammered on it coming through customs:

http://fatbikes.com/907-sliding-frame.html

John
  • They are for taking it easy, cruising up beaches and in the sand dunes, they are for taking in the scenery and not worrying about super fast speeds and hitting bigger obstacles. There are plenty of "normal mtb's" for that sort of thing.

Oh really? :wink:
    Kajjal wrote:
    That's what I keep thinking, are they really heavy and slow ?

Are they slow?

7983800988_6612cc9f11_z.jpg

This is a shot of me on the 2012 Isle of Man End 2 end race where I finished in 59th out of the 1150 finished who finished before the 7 hour cut off and just 51 minutes down on the elite winner.

Wanna race?

To be honest my reason for lighter rims is less rolling weight and less drag on the tyres (quite tempted to try v8s when things dry up) will both help ride further for the same effort. Or i could just mtfu :oops:
  • Johnmcl7 wrote:

I really fancy buying one and think this frame looks great, but shame it's in the US as I expected I'd get hammered on it coming through customs:

John

Try here http://www.sidewayscycles.com/products/ ... hp?clid=31
  • Monty Dog
    I run my 29x3" tyres tubeless - makes a massive difference to rolling resistance and saves about 1.5kg in weight. Surprisingly, get them up to speed and they roll incredible fast - on flowing singletrack they are probably the fastest tyres going. Saying a fat bike needs to be 40lb is ridiculous - it's simply laziness on behalf of manufacturers not to offer the best engineered parts.
  • To be honest my reason for lighter rims is less rolling weight
    But once the wheels are up to speed you won't notice the weight, in fact the rotating weight helps you up and over technical things better than a light weight wheel.

Before you drill, try your set up for a couple of weeks.
    less drag on the tyres
    Just run with Surly Larry tyres, they hardly drag at all
    And Nate's in the wet and mud (those do drag)
    Or i could just mtfu :oops:
    Yep
  • johnmcl7
    johnmcl7 Posts: 162
    Johnmcl7 wrote:

John

Try here http://www.sidewayscycles.com/products/ ... hp?clid=31

Thanks very much.

John
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • CitizenLee wrote:

Shame it's such a warm wet January this year.

I'm missing the snow.... :roll: