Mudguards for Specialized Secteur and lejog

shaunclaridge
shaunclaridge Posts: 87
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Im clueless here by the way

Im looking for some mudguards for my 2013 secteur. I have seen the Crud road racers but as these will mainly be used for a LEJOG with rear panniers im worried by the reports of how flimsy they are and how much they can move around and rub with vibrations of British roads.

Ive just come across these.....
http://www.specialized.com/ca/en/ftb/co ... fender-set
Specialized say ....
"High end, stiff and reliable Aluminum fender-set that either supports all bikes for direct “Plug and Play” frame mounting or any other bike with traditional eyelet mounts. Fits tires up to 30mm width and is made out of anodized Aluminum and stainless steel hardware material.
Alloy fender set for 700c wheels
Supports "Plug and Play" frame mounting for direct fender-struts frame attachment (2014 Specialized Secteur)
Includes eyelets to mount fenders to all 2014 Sirrus Carbon models and the 2014 Roubaix SL4 Sport SRAM Disc

I have rear eyelets for rack and guards but none on the front

Does anyone know if those specialized ones needs eyelets on front and rear? Or any other recommendations? Do I need to get a rear guard that fits eyelets, and then a different front guard for racebikes without eyelets is what I am getting at?

Comments

• I Have these on my 2014 Secteur sport disc and I have honestly had nothing but sheer grief with them!
    They always come loose and rattle and shake about and don't fit well. I have had to stick on pieces of foam on the frame where the gaurds are close too to prevent them rattling against the frame. I basically have to take the bike wheel off every day and re-tighten one of the screws. Part of the reason I bought the bike was to get water tight on my daily 60 mile commute and to have a pannier rather than a ruck sack and with doing JOLEG again this summer. I was using a Roubaix before buying this.

I am taking the bike back to specialized next week and see what they come up with because I just cant live with the rear mudguard anymore, 60 miles a day with metallic rattles is just depressing.
  • If you have rack/guard mounts for the rear then why not just get some SKS Chromoplastic mudguards and by 2 P clips to secure the front one. The P clip wraps around the fork and gives you a fixing point similar to a proper mount. Something like these http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/tortec-p ... wwodUQwAHA
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    For further inspiration have a read through what this guy has done with his Cannondale:-

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12957674&p=18730802&hilit=sks#p18730802

Looks to be a fairly elegant use of the P-clip system.